Home Forums General Discussion Able to engage in intense exercise?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Maria,

Wow, reading your posts remind me so much of myself.  I began my fitness kick later in life.  I was 38 when I joined a gym.  I was always a fit person…just not necessarily physically fit. 

I became addicted to exercise.  I worked out 3-4 hours a day 7 days a week.  I ran at least 6 miles a day.  That was my minimum.  I would not allow myself to run any less.  I lifted weights every day for an hour and followed that up with at least 2 hours of cardio.  Unlike you, I believe this led to my RA diagnosis.  I was physically “spent” every single day for 6 years.  I never gave my body the rest it so desperately needed. I could feel my health declining and tried to boost it by taking all kinds of supplements.  I ran and ran … and then a couple years after starting, my knee started hurting.  I ignored it and ran through the pain for another year or so.  That is when my knee swelled to the point that it was impossible to run on it.  I had a cat scan and was told that i would need a knee replacement in the near future.. that practically everything that held a knee together was damaged.  I'm sure the running did it.  Shortly after that I was diagnosed with RA.  Oddly enough that was the only time I have ever had a swollen joint.  I stopped running for a few months after that and then started back slowly.  I am now able to run on it again, but feel like I have burnt my body out from the 6  years that I over did it.  I still workout 5 days a week… weights and cardio.. but nothing like I did before I was diagnosed.  I believe there should be a happy medium.  You need to read the signals your body gives you. 

With that being said, I still believe that staying physically fit is beneficial to all of us.  Just don't overdo it.  Our bodies are like finely tuned instruments, its so hard telling what throws us off.  I think its different for all of us.  Listen to your body!

Good luck Liz!

Heres to good health,
    Lori

Kim
    Participant

Geez, Lori and Maria……..you two need to just calm down. :roll-laugh: :roll-laugh: :roll-laugh:

p.s. Mum of 3 too 😉

mschmidt
    Participant

Kim,

Yes…certainly need to calm down.  And, I meditate twice a day to help because I've always been high-strung, and have too much energy (even at my sickest).  It's hard to explain how what I'm about to say is even possible but, the only thing that has truely relaxed me over the years is Exercise–specifically running.  Makes me wonder what I've been running from for so long:)  To that point, I'm also doing guided, deep breathing weekly with a practioner to get out of my head so much, and change old patterns of behavior that don't serve me well.  This has been life-changing for me because by letting go of my ego (conscious), I've discovered the hidden messages/insecurities ingrained in my subconsious/belief system.  I've learned that your thoughts are what create your outer reality.  If you change your thoughts, your outer reality will change.  It's a work in progress but, so far, many good things are coming from doing this kind of work on myself.  And, who doesn't need a little more enlightenment, right?:D

Kim
    Participant

Good luck, Maria, 🙂

I think most of us feel a sense of urgency once we start feeling better to make up for the time we lost being sick.  Looking back is a waste of energy, but it's hard not to, at least for me.

Glad you're doing so well.

Take care…..kim

eann
    Participant

It is interesting to read of how fit and active many were before getting sick. I was always a sports and exercise nut too. My sport was tennis.

I always imagined playing tennis well into my 60's/70's. I watched my diet pretty well too and I felt abandoned by my body when I became sick at 37.

I watch my friends who never exercise and eat junk food and they appear healthy. At least, they can work and function.

Your stories give me hope that maybe one day I will be able to function again. I can't go as far as to hope to play tennis. I watch it on TV now.

Good to see others getting better. Thanks for sharing your stories.

notes2vic
    Participant

I believe my RA was brought on by intense exercise. 

I have always been a runner, used to play a lot of hockey, and do lots of yoga.  I was doing intense 90minute sessions of Bikram Yoga (39'C/102'F) 6 times a week before I fell ill at the age of 29.  I loved it.  Was perhaps addicted to it.

I find it really interesting how many people with autoimmune disease have a history of intense exercise and type A tendencies. I aim to get back into exercise – but not in a compulsive way – my opinion is that RA is a disease of self criticism/being too hard on oneself. 

RA is a disease that forces you to stop.  It makes even the simple actions in life difficult.  The pain can be overwhelming. 

If there is any message to be found in this disease it may be to accept oneself, relax, chill out and enjoy a comfortable pace. 

ekrueger
    Participant

Hey there,

So you were an intense exerciser as well, eh? I lift weights 5-6 days per week and teach 5 group exercise classes a week including abs, resistance and kick boxing. But…that's nothing compared to what I used to do prior to having a baby. I lifted 6-7 days per week, took tae kwon do 4 days per week, did various cardio, taught two spinning classes per week, and any other type of activity I could get my hands on. I seem to be noticing a trend as well as far as who gets RA. The really motivated, fit, and Type A crowd. It's not fair. My friend who has had severe RA for 16 years now used to run 7 miles a day and one day she woke up to a sore throat and swollen and painful joints over her entire body. It's so scary that you can just wake up one day and your whole life is changed forever…in a negative way. I do not believe one should be rewarded for being lazy and eating McDonald's while I am getting up at 5 am to exercise and I drink protein shakes and eat salmon, chicken, and green veggies. Sorry for the rant.

Take care,
    Liz

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘ Able to engage in intense exercise?’ is closed to new replies.