Home Forums General Discussion A few questions for the experts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    GoinCrazy
    Participant

Finally got to see an AP and it feels like a minor achievement to have a prescription for minocycline in hand. I am diagnosed RA this May but my symptoms have been relatively minor. I thought I might skate through with a mild case but my CCP antibodies came in greater than 250! Doc says this may suggest an aggressive case coming.

One week on 100mg MWF and there are a couple of questions for you guys.

1. The doc prescribed 200 mg every day and isnt versed in roadback protocol, so I'm doing my own dosing. Should I stay on the low dose indefinently until the situation changes? Or would you raise it over time?

2. Doc says that strenuous exercise does not cause flareups. I'm skeptical and wonder if it's okay to push joints as long as they feel okay?

3. On theory, I see mention of mycoplasm testing but it doesnt seem widespread. If our theory is right, shouldnt you see a reduction in mycoplasm over time and indicating progress?

I'm daily impressed by the wealth of knowledge and support on this site.

justsaynoemore
    Participant

GoinCrazy – boy, if anybody on this site tried to answer your post, we would be in jail for practicing medicine without a license 🙂  Your questions can only be answered by a physician.  It sounds like you need to go get a second opinion.  Best of luck.  Cathy

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

GoinCrazy – congrats on having started your protocol. Docs will often rx the 200mg daily as a matter of course – the Harvard Protocol. They tend not to understand about hyper-sensitivity or pulse dosing. Daily dosing at 200mg tends to work well for people without inflammation (many SDers) who will not herx or herx mightily. Many RAers are much too sensitized to take such a big daily dose. And, in any event, there is a school of thought that pulse dosing attacks pathogens and that daily dosing is more immuno-suppressive and not necessary. If it were me, I'd see how I did on the MWF regime. You may well not need to change this at all. Only time will tell what tweaks are in order, we are all different. Best to you on this road and remember it's a slow road to wellness. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

BTW, if you watch the Dr Brown video (you can access it through this Forum), then you will get his perspective on exercise (towards the end). I have personally always found that strenuous (and sometimes evn mild) exercise can produce a flare. My AP/Lyme Doc believes that gentle stretching is important to maintain flexibilty but does not advocate strenuous exercise. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

GoinCrazy
    Participant

Okay, I should have intro'd with: I'm not seeking medical advise, only opinions….

justsaynoemore
    Participant

[user=2343]GoinCrazy[/user] wrote:

Finally got to see an AP and it feels like a minor achievement to have a prescription for minocycline in hand. I am diagnosed RA this May but my symptoms have been relatively minor. I thought I might skate through with a mild case but my CCP antibodies came in greater than 250! Doc says this may suggest an aggressive case coming.

One week on 100mg MWF and there are a couple of questions for you guys.

1. The doc prescribed 200 mg every day and isnt versed in roadback protocol, so I'm doing my own dosing. Should I stay on the low dose indefinently until the situation changes? Or would you raise it over time?

2. Doc says that strenuous exercise does not cause flareups. I'm skeptical and wonder if it's okay to push joints as long as they feel okay?

3. On theory, I see mention of mycoplasm testing but it doesnt seem widespread. If our theory is right, shouldnt you see a reduction in mycoplasm over time and indicating progress?

I'm daily impressed by the wealth of knowledge and support on this site.

I didn't mean to shut off your thread and questions, but truly these are worded in a way that only a physician could answer 🙂 

In my own personal experience, I was started out on daily Minocin and got so high I almost floated off the Earth.  I took myself down to MWF dosing.  So, I think maybe alot of us do our own thing with dosing and working with our doctors to find what works best for us.  Your blood markers will play a big role in determining what to do too.  You will see that many of us are on different doses and different antibiotics, so this is truly a work in progress.  We all wish you the best in your AP journey and always ask questions in here (that we can answer ROLFMAO)

You will find what works for you with exercise, believe me.  I can barely do any exercise because of my addition of fibromyalgia.  I have learned the hard way when I have a good day and feel all powerful that cleaning the house is a very stupid thing to do. 

Supposedly, the RA mycoplasma reproduces every 22 hours.  The idea is to hit it again and again.  I have not personally read anything that says AP can reduce or cure it, only contain it and help keep things under control without using stronger RA drugs, which is why we are here, we don't want to be poisoning our bodies with the stronger RA drugs for as long as possible.

It you haven't read the two books that are recommended here, I will strongly do so.  I think alot of the line of thinking you are on will be answered.

Sorry if I came off a little harsh and hope this helps.  And talk to your doctor, always.

Take care ~~ Cathy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ A few questions for the experts’ is closed to new replies.