Home Forums General Discussion A bit discouraged- What about Mcdougal's Diet?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    jaydee
    Participant

As some of you may remember, my wife saw Dr. S in Dalton several years ago, went on minocin, antifungals, exercise, and a diet of no sugar, wheat and diary. She was doing great, then a few months ago she started eating diary again and since then things have not been quite the same. Yesterday, was quite bad with pain all over her body which hadn't happened in years.
    She's to the point of having had enough, as she is seeing now an increase in the damage to her hands which she thought she had pretty much stopped. She is almost ready to go on the traditionals, meth, etc.
    She is looking into the Mcdougal diet as a last ditch effort, has anyone had experience with the McDougal diet?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Thank you
    jaydee

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

This may seem a facile question. But has your wife stopped eating dairy now??? Even if yes, if she has gut issues, those will not be resolved quickly as it takes time to heal. JMO, but there seems an obvious connection with joint pain and dairy for her. I would be giving dairy free a really good run before resorting to the heavy hitters in terms of drugs. (Sorry dont know McDougal Diet, so cant comment there). Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

greeno
    Participant

Get of the dairy and stay of it.

greeno
    Participant

A bit more information. I believe my RH is directly attributed to having a dairy intolerence. I can't handle one spec of it, not even yogurt with good bacteria. RH loves dairy.

anewday
    Participant

I know of someone (online) who has RA and uses the McDougal diet. She has had great success on it.

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Jaydee:

While it seems clear that diary is not your wife's friend, there may be more to it.  I spoke with an Integrative Medicne Doctor yesterday who beleives that you need to eat for your blood type, an issue that was discussed on the old BBoard (archives coming soon).  He explained to me that if you eat outside of your blood type, inflammation is the result.  This may be a factor to consider for your wife, she is obviously able to do the diet changes necessary if she sees results.  There is much information on this topic on the net and in your local health food store.

Just a thought,

Cheryl

Sierra
    Participant

I have a McDougall cookbook and have spent time perusing their website. The diet is a simple, healthful, anti-inflammatory diet.  I do best eating that way.

S.

Jennhere
    Participant

I've known people who had horrible joint pain due to dairy.  It may take awhile being dairy free to see improvements.  I hope it gets better soon.

Jenn 

Sierra
    Participant

Your post inspired to me to look through my old McDougall cookbook. The only change I would suggest for someone with RA would be to add salmon, walnuts, and flax seed to the diet. I haven't seen the newer McDougall cookbooks, so perhaps he has some recipes incorporating these helpful anti-inflammatory foods now, but there don't seem to be any in my old cookbook.

Sierra

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

When I was first diagnosed RA, I searched the internet and found Dr. McDougall's website.  He has studied the effects of food and RA extensively.  He supports a low fat, vegan (no animal products of any kind) diet.  In his articles, he said Leaky Gut is one cause of RA.  He said to try his diet for 2 weeks.  If you see significant improvement, you have leaky gut.  If not, then this is not your problem.

I felt I could do anything for 2 weeks, so I diligently followed his diet for 2 weeks and incredibly I estimate my improvement at 50%.  It literally took me from housebound to being able to walk for 2 hrs and to hold a pen and write with my dominant hand again.  This sent me in search of a doctor who understood leaky gut.

Food allergy bloodtesting revealed I have an allergy to egg whites, lettuce, dairy, soy.  Dairy in particular causes me a great deal of joint pain.  Changing my diet did not cure my RA, but it dropped the pain, swelling and damage to next to nothing.

Well worth trying.  BTW, I am no longer vegan although I do eat mostly vegetarian.  Interesting too.  I don't follow the bloodtype diet, but my blood type “A” is supposed to be vegetarian.  I just can't quite give up meat altogether, but I rarely eat it.

Susan

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Susan – I think McDougal was on the money re the diet connection. However, it's not just THAT diet that will see symptoms resolve if it's Leaky Gut. Many people who are hospitalised and are on 'nil by mouth' see their symptoms resolve. That definitely tells you the gut is key in this. However, it's not necessarily vegan that's ideal for all. My AP doc (after naturopathic tests) has advised me to eat red meat at least 3 times weekly. However, I think almost all will be helped by gluten-free, dairy-free and sulphite free. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Sierra
    Participant

Red meat three times a week recommended by a naturopath? I'd ask to see his/her credentials! Red meat is loaded with saturated fat and beef in particular is a known inflammatory food. Healthwise, it has other risks. In the U.S. recently, there was a news story about downed (diseased) animals being pushed through to slaughter. The meat from that plant was sent to school lunch programs across the country. Numerous people become sick (or die) every year from the e.coli in hamburger and mad cow disease has made its appearance in the U.S. 

I'd get a second opinion regarding diet!

Sierra

caroline
    Participant

I do McDougall diet (lots of his books out there & a website). Only I
    modify it to exclude gluten & yeast & am now doing vegan. It helps with
    pain but will take 1-2 month to see real results on McDougall which is
    vegtarian & dairy & oil free. Get his books, look at regime & plan for the change ahead of time by cleaning out your cupboards & reading labels on
    all foods brought into your kitchen. Frozen & canned foods are included for convenience sake & you will not go hungry.

Lots of good recipes by Mary McDougall & lists of foods. Also has substitute
    recipes for eggs, milk, etc. Books include: McDougall Cookbook & McDougall Lifestyle which I like & several others.

Worth trying….should help your wife.:blush:

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Ahhh…Eat meat, don't eat meat…..:shock:

I had people e-mail me in the beginning (lots of people) saying the Atkins diet cured their RA.  Somehow I just knew that would not work for me, so I tried the vegan diet.

Obviously though, what works for some does not work for others.

Pay attention to how you feel after eating anything.  Your body will let you know. 

I eat veggies, I have energy and clear thinking.

I eat sweets, pasta, I get sluggish, sleepy and kind of stupid.

I eat meat and my joints will start to ache.  That takes about 12 to 24 hrs to experience.  The other symptoms are immediate.

Dairy guarantees joint pain.  So far, goat dairy does not cause harm, but hard to find much goat products that taste good.

I miss cheddar cheese the most.  I've gotten used to not having other things and have found some really great sugar replacements.

Susan 

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sierra – the naturopath I saw is the one who originally travelled to the U.S., learned the protocol and spent time with Dr Brown's team. She is highly regarded and has a 3 month waiting list. I am not in the U.S. and have good access to organic beef and other red meat sources. She and the AP doc are in agreement on my diet. From their perspective, it is individualised – i.e. one size does not fit all. BTW I am also on gluten/wheat-free, dairy-free, sulphite-free, yeast-free and a salicylate elimination diet! Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ A bit discouraged- What about Mcdougal's Diet?’ is closed to new replies.