Home Forums General Discussion 6 month point,major flare. Is this common?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    stwig
    Participant

I have been taking mino for 6 months, MWF 100mg.  I felt like I was making progress (slow but steady) then a couple days ago I went into a major flare.  Every joint that had ever been affected at one time or another is exploding.  Has any one else had a major set back at 6 months?   Is this to be expected?
    I am getting the mino prescription from my rheumatologist, but she is not a believer in AP, and has said on several occasions that when I get worse she would insist on my starting methotrexate.  As such, I cannot ask her if this is just part of the process.

Thanks,
    Starla

MaryP
    Participant

just bumping this up for Starla 🙂

Patti D
    Participant

Hi Starla,

I wish I had an answer for you. I am new to this also, 8 months of minocycline. I have had some really good weeks and some not so good weeks but nothing even close to the week I first saw the doctor 8 months ago. I suspect you are having a big die off of mycoplasma, herx. I have had a lousy week too and am greatly affected by the weather. It brings out the worst in me:roll-laugh:

what I can tell you is don't be stingy on the advil or what ever you are taking for inflammation. Try those epsom salt baths as well and use the heating pad. I did that today and it did help.

What ever you do, don't let the arthritis “mind game” play tricks with your treatment decisions. You are on the right road back to good health and this treatment is the least toxic of all treatments offered so hang in there. It is said often that you take 2 steps forward, a one step back so I too am listening to that wisdom. Maybe the herx will be short lived, less that before. Also try to figure what food could trigger this or stressful situation. It's a lot to absorb but you will get to know how your body functions better than anyone else.

I am sending well wishes your way!

Happy days!

Patti

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Starla – I understand the situation with your rheumie. Maybe time for a little investigation. What's different about the last few weeks in your life (if anything)? Dietary wise, weather-wise (low barometric pressure is renowned for inducing flares), stress wise (think about anything stress-inducing, including travel, not sleeping, family issues), meds wise, supplements-wise. Have you perhaps got a candida issue? – candida can cause major pain in the joints. You may need to get that under control with something like Diflucan, if so. The fact that it is every single joint feeling like they are exploding is interesting (and I'm sure very painful). You may need a little prednisone to get the inflammation under control in the short-term. If you feel like you have been making progress, then this sounds like it is something short-term that's cropped up. In my view, I'd see if I can work out the likely culprit and get help to treat accordingly……get assistance with the pain and inflammation for now and stay the course. You may also want to try the far-infrared saunas and/or hydrogen peroxide baths to help de-tox. Others may have some additional perspectives to consider. Hope you get some relief soon. Lynnie P.S. Attaching an excerpt from Harold W Clark's book that may also have a few ideas for you 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Starla,

Everyone has offered some great things to consider with your most recent flare in symptoms. I don't know if this bears any relevance, but I also experienced a massive flare at about the six month mark after making consistant progress. It lasted for about 12 days…unrelenting. Then, I woke up one morning and all the symptoms had mysteriously disappeared…flaring, fatigue, depression…and I felt better than I had before it all started. Go figure.

Like you, too, I was also nervous about reporting this to my Lyme doc as he's kindly diverting from his usual Lyme strategy to let me try AP. I had some bloodwork due in the midst of all this, but I put it off till I was feeling better…and this bloodwork was the one where my anti-CCP had come down by 35%, as well as my immune complex by about 25% in just 2 short months! On the flipside, my cardio CRP had increased and RF by just 4 points, but I think it was the remnants of the herx I had just gone through. Since that 6 month point, I am having better days all the time. No fatigue, no depression and waking up with little pain and stiffness. A couple of mornings, I've felt I could probably do without my staple 2 Advils for the day.

Like Patti said, it's such a 2 step fwd, one step back dance all the way. You're improving well and then, suddenly, all hell breaks loose. It's scary and depressing. You should know if this is a herx (in retrospect), if you feel you've progressed a bit once it ends. Not fun going through it, but try to support your body by detoxing as much as you can…plenty of water, the epsom/peroxide baths that Lynnie shared, a good diet, lemon/olive oil detox drink, etc. And, to keep the inflammation down, you may want to increase your anti-inflammatories for a bit to let the antibiotics do their job.

Hope this passes for you soon!

Peace, Maz

lvento27
    Participant

I am going through the same right now.After getting progresssively better for 5 months on mino for sclero I am having a complete resurgence of symptoms.Is this normal for sclero patients?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa,

I saw your post before and was hoping somone might answer from their experience. As far as I know, though, some of the sclero folk do experience some worsening in the 'early' part of recovery…or what appears to be steps back in progress. This can vary between individuals, but you may want to do a search on the old board of Gay_G's posts. Her first year was a real challenge for her….and now she's hiking all over national parks! 

I'm sure one of the old timer sclero folks will pop by to answer your question soon. It really is such a mixed bag of how everyone does in the early days and takes masses of inner resolve and trust. Did you read the Woman's Day article about the lady with sclero in the spring? Six years after beginning mino, she was running marathons, but it took a few years to get to that point.

Hang in there….hoping someone will see your post!

Peace, Maz

DAR
    Participant

I am just coming off of a  two week herx after being on AP for 6 months, everything on my body felt awful and I questioned if I was doing the right thing for my sd but like Maz said happened to her, one day I woke up and felt better than I had in months and I am basking in it right now just enjoying feeling good

Dar 

lvento27
    Participant

Hi Maz Yes I did read the spring article ,Its very inspiring especially now.I just wasnit sure if herxing was typical for sd.
    Dar ,That's encouraging! Hopefully its just a herx.Didn't know it could last so long. What dosage are you taking? Is it generic or brand?I'm thinking of switching to brand.

stwig
    Participant

Thanks for the encouragement and support.  I have increased my celebrex and taken some prednisone the last couple of days.   Fortunately my employer is flexible and has allowed me to take a few days off on short notice in order to rest and deal with this latest flare.   Along with a detox diet of steamed veggies, lots of water and vitamins, and no gluten I feel like I and starting to get some relief.  I hope that when this passes I'll feel better than before it began, as was the case for a coupe of you who replied.

Even though I do not post often, I look at this site several times a week, and truly appreciate the support.  It helps just knowing that I am not the only one fighting this battle.

Thanks again for the support!
    Starla

Ellen RA-AP
    Participant

Hi,

I don't have time to read all of the posts you have here…we'd miss the bus…but I just wanted to tell you that this time of year, AUg-Sept is notoriously a tough month for us.  I see Dr T in Boston and he has said this to me before.  All of my friends with RA and Lupus are experiencing increased symptoms and swelling.  We have also have had a lot of storms.  This will effect you.  One night I felt like the thunder was in my hands, I was in agony.  This too shall pass…so keep up with your meds, move A LOT, exercise as much as you can and you will find your way to a better place. 

Ellen

Rosey UK
    Participant

Hi Lynnie

I read the Harold W Clark thing you added. I wonder if I come into that bracket that I'm not going to get results from abx because of other conditions? I was reading your updates Lynnie the other day to my husband and it sounds great the clinic you went to for help, you had all the different approaches to complete the whole you. I wish I new of a place like that. I was booking a food tolerence testing with york but they said I would have to be free of steroids for 6 months before they can test me. I have never felt any signs of getting better apart from my mouth isn't dry any more because of  the doxy. I started plaquinil last week and it started the dry mouth off so I stopped them and now wonder what I will do. My rheumy nurse said to take 10mg preds. I think I might have lots of other conditions like por digestion etc.

Nice to hear from you Lynnie I think you are an holiday yes? have good time

Rosemary X

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Starla – I understand the situation with your rheumie. Maybe time for a little investigation. What's different about the last few weeks in your life (if anything)? Dietary wise, weather-wise (low barometric pressure is renowned for inducing flares), stress wise (think about anything stress-inducing, including travel, not sleeping, family issues), meds wise, supplements-wise. Have you perhaps got a candida issue? – candida can cause major pain in the joints. You may need to get that under control with something like Diflucan, if so. The fact that it is every single joint feeling like they are exploding is interesting (and I'm sure very painful). You may need a little prednisone to get the inflammation under control in the short-term. If you feel like you have been making progress, then this sounds like it is something short-term that's cropped up. In my view, I'd see if I can work out the likely culprit and get help to treat accordingly……get assistance with the pain and inflammation for now and stay the course. You may also want to try the far-infrared saunas and/or hydrogen peroxide baths to help de-tox. Others may have some additional perspectives to consider. Hope you get some relief soon. Lynnie P.S. Attaching an excerpt from Harold W Clark's book that may also have a few ideas for you 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ 6 month point,major flare. Is this common?’ is closed to new replies.