Home Forums General Discussion 5htp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tish
    Participant

please help!  i'm going to an alternative doctor.  she has given me a neurotransmitter formula with 5 htp in it.  i've been on for 2 months, and have not been able to go above 225 mg on this supplement because my depression goes  to suicidal thoughts.  at 6 wks. she said it would get better.  i told her  i could not take another capsule (4 instead of 3 because the depression gets worse).  last week she put me on 5 htp with the neurotransmitter.  things are really bad now, more depressed than ever.  have read that people with sd should not use 5 htp, does anyone know why?  if anyone can give me any information it would be greatly appreciated.  unless someone knows of an alternative i will go on st. john's wort tomorrow.  the other seems to really do the opposite of what it is suppose to do for me.  thanks in advance for any information.

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Tish–

I came across this article; under the side effects it states that caution needs to be taken if you have an autoimmune disorder.

http://www.advance-health.com/5htp.html

I hope this information is of help to you and I hope you feel better soon–

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

Tish, just one further thought to the gall bladder thread and also to Trudi's finding for you…. If you are having bile back-up problems, this means your liver cannot release what it is breaking down for you properly – foods, supplements, meds, toxins, etc. In your position, I think I'd stop all unnecessary supplements until I figured out what was going on with my PCP, as the extra burden on your liver could be making things worse for you.

Also, try to stick to a very simple, easily digestible diet for now until you get to the bottom of this, as well as drinking lots of pure water to keep your bowels moving. Bile is like a lubricant in the gut…with reduced bile flow, waste dries out and stagnates in the gut, leaving the toxins to recirculate back into the body. This whole picture could very well be leaving you very depressed.

Try not to delay getting this checked out asap.

You're in my thoughts.

Peace, Maz

richie
    Participant

Hi
    In the link it clearly states that 5 HTP should NOT be taken with antibiotic medication –It is apparent this type of medication should be stopped immediately and you should not use the ST Johns Wort either –sounds like someone is playing darts with using these readily accessible supplements –Pehaps a visit to a medical professional who specializes in treating depression will give you greater benefit than your current path
    richie

Parisa
    Participant

My husband is trying to get off his sleeping medication and was told to take 5htp by his naturopath so I found this first link disturbing.  I did a litte more digging and found the following article:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/mar/13/serotonin-toxicity-risk-rises/?printer=1/

As far as antibiotics, it is Zyvox that presents a risk.  There are several other herb and drug interactions so it would be good to check out the list.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ 5htp’ is closed to new replies.