Home Forums General Discussion Yeast

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tlpitts
    Participant

Started on minocycline I believe in last of march this year I figured I would get yeast very quickly being a diabetic so I started on a strong probiotic before starting minocycline and ordered keifer grains to make milk keifer to keep yeast down in my body not to mention I took a dose of diflucan ten days after starting. I still got a nasty yeast infection and just finished mono stat suppository for this. I eat a low carb diet due to diabetes although inflammation and pain from my RA and psoriatic arthritis drives my sugars up and so does the low dose prednisone I have to take or I can’t move sometimes. I have been off minocycline for a week now how do I need to take it now??? It only took me a month to get yeast and I probably will need to be on this for a couple of years. Any ideas on how I can not get yeast infection??? And how should I take the antibiotic ??? I had been taking it 100mg mon /w/f twice a day. Thank you for any help you all can give.

Maz
    Keymaster

@Tlpitts wrote:

Any ideas on how I can not get yeast infection??? And how should I take the antibiotic ??? I had been taking it 100mg mon /w/f twice a day.

Hi Teresa,

A very interesting herb I’ve been researching is artemisinin and its derivatives. Actually, artemisinin is, itself, a derivative of wormwood (used for centuries as an anti-parasitic).

This amazing herb has innumerable applications, including anti-cancer (breast, prostate, lung, ovarian, lymphoma, leukemia, colon, etc), anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-protozoal and anti-inflammatory properties. And, there have been a number of studies on this herb for inflammatory arthritides that are also proving to be highly successful in preventing joint damage and modulating immune function.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2275452/

I have been using it in a compounded liposomal capsule form and have been amazed by how wonderful I feel. Just thought this was worth passing along for your further researches and for anyone else who may be interested. Side-effects are negligible according to researches I’ve done (except when used in unnecessary mega-doses, which may cause neuro-toxicity), but would encourage you to look these up for yourself. While I haven’t seen any contraindications for use with folks who have diabetes (which just means I haven’t encountered any, not that they may not exist), this is also worth your while checking in advance.

Apparently, artemsinin resistance is growing and so it is important to ensure that one takes it in combination with other anti-malarial meds, such as a tetracycline.

While I haven’t had any candida issues, myself, and can’t attest to its effectiveness in “curing” or preventing candida, it seems that there is literature out there indicating that artemisinin is helpful against some strains.

Unfortunately, prednisone is notorious for causing diabetes with long-term use. Adrenal fatigue probably figures in to this whole picture, so it might be worth seeing if you can gradually reduce and get off the prednisone and, if you find that liposomal artemisinin is an option for you (checking with your doc in advance), then it may help in the weaning process due to its powerful anti-inflam props, as well as to help reduce the fungal overgrowth. Unfortunately, until the fungus is treated, inflammation will continue to remain high and will feed the need for prednisone…a vicious cycle. It won’t be worth testing adrenal function until you’re off the pred completely, as you’ll be getting false results, but once you are, it may serve you well to check this and, if necessary, do what you can to support adrenal function. A naturopath should be able to help with all this, if you aren’t seeing an integrative AP doc.

There are other natural remedies for candida overgrowth that you can check out, such as grapefruit seed extract, but if you are going to pulse in Diflucan to your protocol, would suggest great caution, as some anti-fungals (both herbal and rx) work by shutting down the P450 cytochrome in the liver and this can be damaging.

It may also behoove you to get candida testing run (stool testing) to check for the different varieties that might be posing a problem as targeting specific strains may require different treatment.

I don’t know if this will help or not, Tersesa, in your particular case, but feel it is worth mentioning for anyone to research in order to make an informed decision for one’s self.

Best to you and hoping you can get a grip on this soon.

BG
    Participant

Hi Teresa,

Did your physician verify the infection with a culture or did they just assume it was a yeast infection?

Barb

Tlpitts
    Participant

I have had yeast infection before and have been tested for it and have had it. Also if it looks like a duck and smells like a duck it is usually a duck and the test in my case is a waste of money cause I know I have it been there before. I got yeast before when I was on this protocol years ago but it took a year to rear its ugly little head,but, of course I did not have diabetes then. I drink homemade milk kefir two times a day along with a strong probiotic twice a day. Am I drinking enough keifer?.

BG
    Participant

The reason I asked about whether or not the infection was confirmed with a culture is because there are several different conditions that can affect that area of the body that are often misdiagnosed as yeast infections, even by doctors when they fail to do a culture.

I have learned the hard way to always get a culture done.

I have had to to use topical anti-fungal treatments daily for the last 6 years to manage my yeast/fungal problems.

Barb

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.