Home Forums General Discussion xrays/ultrasounds/bonedensity tests ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

hi all – i have had many xrays / ultrasounds over the years – more so since being dxd with r.a. i have to have a bone density check on friday, i am a bit concerned , maybe unnecessarily? i dont know , but i was wondering if they can have an adverse affect on r.a., borellia etc. i am concerned about the bone density as that is the area where i have – a cyst on the ovary , and 18mths ago i had a vin 111 lesion removed . i know there is a certain ammount of radiation in those things – xrays etc. would appreciate any thoughts … kind regards di. p.s. the lesion was lower down in the female region.

Sandyg
    Participant

Hi Dianne,
    Only just saw your post so maybe be a bit late.
    What type of Bone Density Test are you having?…..I had one years ago but that was just at the local pharmacy..had to put my feet in a machine…..is that the sort of thing you are having or is it another more complex test at the hospital??
    I don’t think it is any worse than just an x-ray but not sure.
    I was advised to get the Calcium supplement with Hydroxyapatite as that is what helps build the bone back up, and the one I use is “Nutralife Calcium Complete’, but I only take one a day, as I already have low magnesium and calcium competes with Mag, so I have to supplement that.
    Good luck with your test.
    Sandy

hi sandy , i have been thinking about you a lot lately and wondering how you are ? hope you are doing ok. the bone density test is through a private company LAKEVIEW IMAGING , when you have rheumatoid arthritis , they bulk bill you. i had to cancel , so will rebook later on . i dont really know what my levels are – cal or mag ? never been tested. but i believe mtx leeches minerals from your bones and i have been on it since 2008. take care ..kind regards ..di.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Dianne – you may find this info of use:

What is a DEXA scan (bone density test)?
    DEXA stands for “dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry,” and is considered the most accurate test for bone density. While standard x-rays show changes in bone density after about 40% of bone loss, a DEXA scan can detect changes after about a 1% change. A DEXA scan lasts about 10 minutes, and exposes the patient to less radiation than a standard chest x-ray (about the same amount of radiation exposure as taking a trans-continental flight).

What do my bone density test results mean?
    The results of a bone density measurement (DEXA scan) are reported in two ways: as T-scores and as Z-scores.

A T-score compares your bone density to the optimal peak bone density for your gender. It is reported as number of standard deviations below the average. A T-score of greater than minus-1 is considered normal. A T-score of minus-1 to minus-2.5 is considered osteopenia, and a risk for developing osteoporosis. A T-score of less than minus-2.5 is diagnostic of osteoporosis.

A Z-score is used to compare your results to others of your same age, weight, ethnicity, and gender. This is useful to determine if there is something unusual contributing to your bone loss. A Z-score of less than minus-1.5 raises concern of factors other than aging as contributing to osteoporosis. These factors may include thyroid abnormalities, malnutrition, medication interactions, tobacco use, and others.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/osteoporosis/a/bonedensitytest.htm

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

but i believe mtx leeches minerals from your bones and i have been on it since 2008

Dianne – my understanding is that mtx does not affect bone density. See info at question 9 from this link re bone health
    http://saveourbones.com/vivian-answers-day-14/

It is long-term use of prednisone (and other cortico-steroids) that have a well known leeching affect on bones and are a potential cause of osteoporosis

http://www.arthritis.org/control-bone-loss-steroids.php

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lynnie- thank you for sending the info about the bone mineral density test- dexa. i am pretty sure that is what they use @ LAKEVIEW IMAGING. also very much appreciate the article about the methotrexate, very interesting. i will have to look up what an enzyme inhibitor is 🙂 hope you are well …kind regards di.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.