Home Forums General Discussion Worried about jaundice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    darling787
    Participant

Hi all. I’ve been on 200mg of mino twice daily for about 1.5 months. Aside from nausea I seem to be tolerating it okay. I’ve never been officially diagnosed with arthritis but have had deep muscle aches for 5 months now. My doc thinks I have mycoplasma and possible Lyme. I’ve been under so much stress with work and family life. And while taking the mino I’ve still been drinking a quite a bit of alcohol. Anyhow I was visiting my mom this weekend and she thinks I look yellow. I started reading about mino and jaundice . I am starting to get very worried I am causing liver damage . My doc checked my enzymes about 2 weeks ago. Should I go to a walk in or is it save to wait 3 weeks for the next appointment with my AP doc? Aside from the usual muscle aches I feel fine… I’m a bit of a hypochondriac so this whole process scares me. Thank you.

Sick since July 2015 with deep muscle aches, fatigue, and ongoing throat infections. Since July was on 10 different abx .Found AP doc for long-term abx therapy in Jan 2016. Started Mino and other herbals. About 60% better. Positive for mycoplasma, strep (ASO 400), and possibly lyme. Current Meds: Vit C, D, b12, Glutatione, l-glutamine, colloidal silver, fish oil, magnesium, multi, herbal tincture with cats claw , Oregon grape, blessed thistle...mino 2/16-3/16 now trying penicllin

darling787
    Participant

I also want to add that I got sick last July after starting azithromyicin for a throat infection. I keep on worrying that I got serum sickness and that unlike many of the people on this forum I may not benefit from AP if antibiotics made me sick in the first place . How can I rule out serum sickness? I just remember so vividly the deep aches started while I was on zpac..

Sick since July 2015 with deep muscle aches, fatigue, and ongoing throat infections. Since July was on 10 different abx .Found AP doc for long-term abx therapy in Jan 2016. Started Mino and other herbals. About 60% better. Positive for mycoplasma, strep (ASO 400), and possibly lyme. Current Meds: Vit C, D, b12, Glutatione, l-glutamine, colloidal silver, fish oil, magnesium, multi, herbal tincture with cats claw , Oregon grape, blessed thistle...mino 2/16-3/16 now trying penicllin

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Look at your eyes in a mirror. Does the white part look normal or yellow? Is your urine darker than normal?

There are supplements that you can take to help protect your liver — N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) and milk thistle extract. I think everyone on this therapy should be taking them (unless they have a very good reason not to).

As for your skin color, it is possible (even likely) that you are starting to develop a sun tan. That’s one of the side effects of minocycline.

I was 28 when my symptoms first appeared, and muscle soreness was the first symptom. The joint pain came shortly after. You should consider yourself very fortunate if you never experience any joint pain.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

darling787
    Participant

Thanks Phil. My eyes don’t appear yellow. I’m struggling so much with the emotional aspect of what is going on with me. I don’t fit any normal disease or infection. I hope I don’t get joint swelling either and I’m sorry for all your suffering. I just want to know and believe I’ll get better and I’m starting to doubt I will.

Suzanne
    Participant

I seem to recall members here posting about minocycline darkening their skin a bit, to where they appear slightly tanned? Could this be what is happening? I think if your enzymes were checked recently, you should have peace of mind about any liver issues.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

PhilC
    Participant

I also want to add that I got sick last July after starting azithromyicin for a throat infection. I keep on worrying that I got serum sickness and that unlike many of the people on this forum I may not benefit from AP if antibiotics made me sick in the first place . How can I rule out serum sickness? I just remember so vividly the deep aches started while I was on zpac..

Your symptoms don’t really fit a diagnosis of serum sickness. If your reaction to azithromycin was serum sickness, you most likely would have recovered by now. My guess is that your doctor is correct — you have a chronic infection — and when you took azithromycin that made those bacteria sick. The stressed bacteria caused the release of cytokines, which “woke up” your immune system. Your immune system was ignoring those bacteria, but now it’s not.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Airen
    Participant

You know since I got sick I noticed that my eye color was yellowish/bloodshot. Not terribly so but enough that I noticed and they’ve been that way for a long time before starting the mino. My urine is also a dark or bright yellow/orange. I chalked that up to all the vitamins and supplements I had been taking but I’ve really cut back on a lot of them and it’s still dark in color. My recent dr visit I asked if I would benefit from taking milk thistle and she didn’t think it necessary as my liver enzymes came back normal. What are your thoughts would it still be beneficial for me to try milk thistle? Will I experience any kind of herxing with it? I’m feeling really good now and almost scared to add anything to my regimine.

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Airen – a couple of thoughts re urine color!

Bright yellow urine will happen if you are taking a B Complex – its the riboflavin in it – as the body excretes what it doesn’t use and dark urine is concentration – which is an indication of insufficient fluid intake. Are you drinking plenty of water?

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

jasregadoo

Airen, I’ve been taking milk thistle, and haven’t had any herxing from it. I may have been sweating more, and that sweat may be a little stronger, but maybe that’s my liver detoxing. I’m glad to hear that your tests came back normal. It’s probably one of the vitamins you’re taking, but you can’t be too careful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.