Home Forums General Discussion Why Modified Release

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Hi everyone πŸ™‚

Went to my Rheumatologist recently and on my request he has changed my Minocycline pelletted capsules (Aknemin) to Minocycline Modified Release capsules(Acnamino). I have been taking mino now for about five months with not a lot of change although my ESR did come down two points at my last visit a couple of weeks ago. Dr S has told me in an email that he routinely puts his patients on 100mgx2 daily so I am going to try and increase my dose gradually and see what happens. Does anyone have any other advice forme please?? I would soooooooooo like to hear your views.

Also my GP asked me this morning why I wanted the Modified Release version and to be honest I wasn’t sure why. She still gave me the presciption without any bother. She is one of the nice ones in the practice. However, I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me why because I am sure I will get asked again in the future because of costs incurred on our NHS.

We have beautiful sunshine here today (Tuesday) – I hope you are all enjoying the same πŸ˜€

Take care

Patricia x

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Patricia,

Why modified release? Because you asked for it? πŸ™‚

Seriously now, there was probably no reason to switch. If you couldn’t tolerate the Aknemin because of some reason like stomach upset or dizziness, that would be a reason to try the modified release version, but that’s about it. Another reason might be that you wanted to experiment with the Acnamino to see if it works better for you.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

That really made me giggle!!! πŸ™‚ Like your sense of humour.

The reason I asked for modified release is because I am sure somewhere along the line Minocin MR was recommended as the best antibiotic to take (to be honest I am probably just making all this up!!). We can’t get Minocin over here as far as I am aware and most other Ukers seem to be taking Acnamino. I just wasn’t sure why the modified release was any better – but it seems that perhaps it isn’t… I will switch back to Aknemin if nothing changes cos I have tolerated that quite well.

Thanks Phil. You are a good help and funny too πŸ˜‰

Patricia x

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.