Home Forums General Discussion White Blood Cells & Blood in Urine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    York
    Participant

Has anyone ever experienced this on an ongoing basis?

I have had this for 2 years now, but my Dr’s never seemed concerned. Twice when the culture was sent out of the office (after the positive in office screening) – the test came back negative. I saw a new Dr last week and she was very concerned about it.

Has anyone else had this? Thank you for any thoughts.

vinny
    Participant

I had microscopic blood in my urine for some years. Neither cipro or levequin would clear it up. MRI did not reveal any evidence of a cause. In 2008 I started Minocycline treatment for Psoriatic Arthritis and the blood disappeared.
    vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

BG
    Participant

I have the problem you describe. There are many causes of hematuria. Check out the following websites for more info:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/blood_in_the_urine/page2_em.htm
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-in-urine/DS01013/DSECTION=causes

I have kidney disease secondary to autoimmune connective tissue disease and or chronic infections. My creatinine (sp?) level increased and my eGFR rapidly declined over the past two years and protein has been leaking into my urine. After several months of doxycycline and 10 days of amoxicillin in July, the creatinine level decreased and the eGFR level increased by 10 which wasn’t expected at all and which clearly indicates one or more chronic bacterial infections were involved. All of this was discovered by accident because the antibiotics were prescribed for other, completely unrelated conditions (blepharitis, possible strep throat).

Most physicians won’t do anything for slowly declining kidney function until it’s too late to turn things around because they don’t consider an infectious cause unless you have other, more extreme lab markers such as high white blood cell count. They take a wait and see attitude instead, not acting on the changes until a later stage when the damage may have progressed beyond repair.

Given the lab results you have shared, I think you should seriously consider trying antibiotics.

Best wishes,

Barb

BG
    Participant

Oops, forgot you have been on antibiotics. Perhaps trying a different antibiotic for a while would help. In my case, amoxicillin 875 mg bid for 10 days did wonders.

Barb

York
    Participant

Thank you Barb!

It’s odd that all of my blood test results come back totally normal. No signs of infection. I will ask about amoxicillin.

Sigh….yet another unexplained “symptom” to this looooong list!

Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.