Home Forums General Discussion When it comes to fish oil, more is not better

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JohnnyMax
    Participant

This is not the first time I have seen similar articles, maybe a little is helpful, but the amount some people use can be dangerous. Decide for yourself … ❓

http://chriskresser.com/when-it-comes-to-fish-oil-more-is-not-better

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Two things come to my mind re this:
    1. You would need to consider the whole fish oil supplementation issue with regard to how it affects those with rheumatoid/connective tissue diseases, which is not what this article is addressing. However, oxidation is an issue for those on long term antibiotic protocols. So believe it would be worth checking with AP Docs/LLMD’s for their view
    2. My own AP/Lyme doc is not a fan of my supplementing with fish oil because she says it is very hard on the liver – and I have experienced a major liver crisis connected to the “auto-immune” issues I have.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

enzed
    Participant

There was a recent news item on an Australian TV news program about how fish oil increased some health risks for men. I didn’t record it unfortunately but will do a search. If I find it I will post it on this thread.

Woods1977
    Participant

I’d like to add some additional feedback on this topic… I was seeing an ND last year before I began AP therapy. She was very helfpul in schooling me on Fish Oil.

Fish oil can be a great add for those of us with Rheumatic disease, but it has several caveats. First off, it’s important to make certain the fish oil you purchase is of a good quality. When I was seeing my ND she gave me access to a website where I could purchase fish oil of a pharmasutical grade/moleculary distilled. I’m not implying you need to purchase a pharmasutical grade of fish oil, but in the very least I would consider paying for a membership to a website called http://www.consumerlab.com/. I hate like hell to plug a company, but this group performs independant lab testing to verify manufacturer claims related to supplements. I believe the membership is $30/year, but well worth it for those of us who use supplements to better our health.

Secondly, it’s important to acknowledge that rancid fish oil can do way more harm than good. Fish oil should not smell “fishy” and should be kept refridgerated after purchase. Additionally, the amount of fish oil required in order to be theraputic for those of us with Rheumatic illness is different than that of a dose required for healthy individuals. I’m not a doctor, so I can’t tell you what the right dose is, but most doctors across the board are very accepting of Fish Oil in this day and age, so you can probably consult your primary care physican to determine what the best dose is. Finally, my ND recommended a fish oil containing no less than 500 EPA/250 DHA for people with auto-immune disease.

This was strictly my own personal experience with my ND- and I’m no longer using fish oil because I’m on so much Aleve right now that I’m afraid I’ll damn near bleed out of myself if I take anything else with blood thining/anti-inflammatory properties. Regardless, I hope this information is a good start for anyone who’s serious about adding a good, quality fish oil to their protocol.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.