Home Forums General Discussion WHAT SHOULD I DO UPDATE

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    val – sa
    Participant

Re my previous post WHAT SHOULD I DO a few days ago.
    Yesterday, 4th April, I had day surgery with twilight sedation (asleep) to remove a back tooth. Reason was that the r.a. in my jaw is so bad my dentist couldn’t get to the tooth to fix it so suggested it came out. Went to hospital hobbling and in severe pain with r.a. Had anaesthetic, taken home and no joint pain for once. Next morning got up – no joint pain, no stiffness, nearly all swelling down. Best I’ve felt in 10 years. 11p.m tonight still no pain. What did they give me? Will it last? Has anyone ever experienced this? Doc is amazed to see me walking and so well today. If pain etc. comes back Doc is going to chase up what drugs were used for the op – apparently he can get patches for one of the drugs he thinks may have been used. Between that and the minomycin maybe I will feel great again. Fabulous perfect day today. πŸ˜€

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

There are lidocaine patches and NSAID patches. Wonder what patches you are talking about.

Jan

Maz
    Keymaster

@val – sa wrote:

Had anaesthetic, taken home and no joint pain for once. Next morning got up – no joint pain, no stiffness, nearly all swelling down. Best I’ve felt in 10 years. 11p.m tonight still no pain. What did they give me? Will it last? Has anyone ever experienced this? Doc is amazed to see me walking and so well today.

Fabulous news, Val-sa! Oral infections have been tied to RA and were recently recognized by the American College of Rheumatology. You might also find that by removing this infected tooth that you’ve reduced the severity of your RA and some of the bugs that were holed up and worsening it. πŸ™‚ Stick with your AP! Dentists use tetracyclines in low doses to prevent gum disease. πŸ™‚

See article at following link: American College of Rheumatology 2010 Press Release

Valsmum
    Participant

This is very interesting, when you find out what they gave you , you’ll have to tell us. I had a root canal done right before my first symptoms of RA, sometimes I think to myself I should have that tooth removed becasue it is in the back anyway. Maz has a good point it could be the bacteria in your tooth they removed that was the culprit. Glad you are feeling better, hope it lasts!!

Joe M
    Participant

Another guess: Fentanyl is a powerful opiate painkiller commonly used in post-op. It also comes in a patch. Its strong enough to knock out RA pain.

Maz
    Keymaster

@Joe M wrote:

Another guess: Fentanyl is a powerful opiate painkiller commonly used in post-op. It also comes in a patch. Its strong enough to knock out RA pain.

Might certainly account for a swift reduction in pain and stiffness, but not for the significant swelling reduction Val-sa mentioned. Opiates block pain receptors in the brain, but have no effect as anti-inflammatories…unless the oral surgeon also slipped something into the mix like this, which is a possibility, too. Will be interesting to hear what Val-sa discovers.

Would be nice to think that removing this infected tooth could also have removed a major source of Val-sa’s painful RA symptoms, don’t you think, Joe? I sure am putting this out there for her -whatever works, right?

Has your wife ever re-considered starting AP again, Joe? I know she is doing so well with her Humira still after several years, but if she ever does decide to go back on AP, it would be nice to actually meet her and she is always welcome to join us here.

val – sa
    Participant

Cannot believe it – another great day. Life is so good. Appreciate it so much now after so much fatigue, pain, etc. Will keep everyone updated on how I go as to whether it was a tooth or something in the sedative. Will be following up on it with my doc in a week or so after more bloods done which could be very interesting. I hope at some time everyone with r.a. can experience the positive joy of being pain free I have had over the last four days. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

val – sa
    Participant

Pity didn’t last – today (Friday) not good – all symptoms coming back. Chasing up drugs that were used for surgery. At least I had four glorious days pain free etc.

Maz
    Keymaster

@val – sa wrote:

Pity didn’t last – today (Friday) not good – all symptoms coming back. Chasing up drugs that were used for surgery. At least I had four glorious days pain free etc.

Val-sa, did the oral surgeon provide you with any antibiotics to prevent post-surgical infection? Sometimes, they use oral clindamycin. Just wondering if this might be the case, because another class of antibiotic can also induce herxing. Just a thought… πŸ˜‰

val – sa
    Participant

After three days of horrendous headaches I am now feeling better. πŸ˜€ RA symptoms about 10% of what they used to be. πŸ˜€ Still waiting on what drugs were used during surgery. Just watched video on drugs cipro and avelox. Was on avelox and VERY high dose steroids and have been seriously sick for 12 months. Avelox and steroids do not mix. πŸ‘Ώ

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.