Home Forums General Discussion What needs tweaking?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tiff
    Participant

Yes, I've read this and some other similar works as well as some other things like Dr. Mercola's book, Jordan Rubin's book, and I particularly like the ideas in Body for Life, but there is much contradiction – some things I don't agree with like the obession with supplements.  I think they are mostly a bad idea.  I've been moving in that direction for a year.  As I have mentioned before, have you read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon or been to the Westin Price Foundation website?  Variations on a theme, but from a science point of view, I think the Sally Fallon book is more detailed and complete in its reasoning.  The basic principles come to the same place though, but these other sources just don't go into as much detail about the science behind it.

I'm also very interested in changing the way I think about food and being a consumer.  For example, as I have said, I drink only raw goat milk.  I get this from a local person who does nothing but this.  She is awesome and works really hard.  She gives me 6 quarts of milk in glass mason jars and I return them next time.  Her milk never touches anything but stainless steel and glass, so it always tastes fresh and real.  There is no plastic waste, no shopping bags, and I know exactly where my money went.

I LOVE this on every level.  This would be my goal to to with all my food and, indeed, a lot of other things such as clothing or household items, at least, in my perfect world.  It would mean changing the way I think of “needs” but that would not be hard.  It also would be difficult where I live because I live in the desert, so local produce is limited, but it could be expanded in an economy that worked that way.  We need to get away from mass production, and I think we will slowly.  I know lots of people who are moving in that direction.  It is very exciting.  I'm looking forward to moving to a place where it will be easier to do, but like everything it will take people shifting their paradigm and that is always a slow and painful process.

However, in respect to dealing with these chronic diseases, I am just frustrated with the endless contradictions about what to eat or avoid.  Basically I have taken the approach outlined by the article you sent, but that is a far cry from avoiding all salicylates, gluten and dairy, meat etc.  I would starve.  As I said, the foods that I am supposed to avoid per the allergy testing are truly things I never could have predicted – just a lot of things I would have thought were not only okay but GOOD for me.  So, the diet issue is still annoying.  It can't be healthy to always be afraid of your food. 

Jennhere
    Participant

I hear you.  I wouldn't take suppliments, either.  I never have- not even pre-natal vitamins. 

We have almost no packaged food in our home-  No canned foods, no processed foods, no boxed, dried stuff….

It's just real food here.  And doing that was so difficult.  Not because it's actually *difficult* but because it's confusing trying to identify real food when you've gone so long believing cheetos, rice-a-roni, canned pineapple and Oscar Mayer bologna were real food…..

I think the only dietary thing I do that's considered strange is the dairy free part.  NOW, I'll have some cheese maybe once a month- but other than that, we never ever, ever, ever eat dairy products.  I've read a bit about goat's milk and it seems like a healthy alternative.  I'm just not into it. 

I think the rules Michael Pollan puts out to “eat food.  not too much.  mostly plants.” is perfect for me.  I follow those three rules.   I don't count calories, nutrition bits, or mixing and matching foods…   I can't handle that at all.

I hope it gets easier for you.

Jenn

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I agree Tiff that it's a problem to be afraid of your food. And frustrating that there are seemingly contradictions in advice food-wise. Fear is not a healthy state of being. I have found the info from the allergy clinic at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital dovetails exactly with my what my AP doc and naturopath have told me. The salicylates are only a problem these days because we are bombarded with them….and not just in food. However, they are not a problem for everyone and, even if they are, you dont have to avoid them forever. In terms of food generally, it is what we have done to it in processing it, preserving it, storing it plus the vast quantities we in the West tend to eat that have done the damage. And, if you have taken alot of pain medication over the years, it's almost certain you have gut problems which will require attention. To me, this makes perfect sense. Tiff, I think you are on the right track with your food outlook. BTW I lurve goat's milk! However, for now, am not allowed it, just a little goat's cheese occasionally as a treat. I'm hoping that may change over time. Lynnie    

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ What needs tweaking?’ is closed to new replies.