Home Forums General Discussion Washout Necessary?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BellaB
    Participant

New to Forum. Diagnosed 8 years ago with RA/Lupus. Considering the antibiotic protocol, have been on hydroxychloroquine, methotrexate, celebrex and antidepressants now for 6 years. Is it common for folks to try a “washout” period (for metho?) prior to going on AP? Seems problematic as one might flare a lot…

BellaB

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Bella;
    I stayed on MTX for the first 3 years of AP.Once I was about 80% of my old self I slowly reduced it.The max dose was 7.5mg or 3 pills so I went to 21/2 for a month then 2 then 1.5.By the time I was on half of a pill I was really worried about a rebound but nothing happened.
    Plaquinil is kind of a cross between asperin and an antibiotic so that wont cause a problem.You are going to be stunned at how many of us have Lyme also and that is one of the meds used.
    Lynne

BellaB
    Participant

Thank you Lynne! Great to know-
    Did you also cycle your antibiotics when you first started them? I don’t have access to IV in the location I’m living, so I’ll only be able to go on oral, my doc is saying to take it every day, and I thought from reading that it should be cycled for best results? Think I will be starting on just Minocycline.

BellaB

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi BellaI have SD so one has to hit it hard and hit it fast 200mg a day.My kid sister has Lyme/Lupus and MCTD.She did the CIR protocol and has been off all meds for over 4 years.Looks cured,but Gos only knows.People with RA usually start with 50mg 3 days a week and Lupies are even more sensitive so no big doses of anything until you know how you will react.Most of us do not do I.V s unless very,very sick

BellaB
    Participant

Thank you, will keep that in mind and start Minocycline slowly. Did you (or your sister?) ever experience any Lupus type syndrome from Minocycline (which in essence may just be a herx response?) I’ve read about Minocycline and a Lupus type syndrome now in a few different articles…

BellaB

Maz
    Keymaster

@BellaB wrote:

Thank you, will keep that in mind and start Minocycline slowly. Did you (or your sister?) ever experience any Lupus type syndrome from Minocycline (which in essence may just be a herx response?) I’ve read about Minocycline and a Lupus type syndrome now in a few different articles…

Hi Bella,

Have replied to your private email with further info for you. The difference between a herx and DILE is that a herx will occur when treatment is begun, whereas DILE is something that can, in rare instances and in people with certain predispositions, occur later, with chronic use. Both are drug-induced, but the mechanism is entirely different. Hopefully, the literature I sent to you will elucidate further. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.