Home Forums General Discussion Vitamin c, AP and scleroderma

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lanolin
    Participant

I read in a previous post that vitamin c use, for preventing hyperpigmentation while using minocycline, stimulates collagen production.

Makes the decision difficult- To use or not use vitamin c.

Is there anyone on AP With scleroderma who used vitamin c and if so what dosage?

kater
    Participant

I don’t take huge doses but I always take 1000mg vit c –and take vitamin K with it to prevent hyperpigmentation. Even with that I did get a bit of blue spots on the shins after a couple of years. Now my doc suggests to rotate mino and doxy to prevent it but really its not a big deal. Rather spots than sclero
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

richie
    Participant

To Kater –I completely agree a few spots is a good trade-off for feeling well –Generally folks with SD dont do as well on doxy –personally I would never change and I too have the blue on ankles –
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @lanolin wrote:

I read in a previous post that vitamin c use, for preventing hyperpigmentation while using minocycline, stimulates collagen production.

Statements to the effect that vitamin C stimulates collagen production are a bit misleading. The reality is that vitamin C is essential for collagen production. That’s why a vitamin C deficiency causes scurvy.

There is no scientific evidence that supplementing with vitamin C is harmful to people with scleroderma (I’ve looked). In fact, the opposite appears to be the case. See: Scleroderma and vitamins C, E

As far as I can tell, any statements that vitamin C supplementation might be harmful to scleroderma patients are purely speculative. Even so, recommendations that people with scleroderma should avoid taking high doses of vitamin C do seem reasonable.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Good morning Phil,rise and shine and get that second cup of coffee hehehe.Vit does not cause scurvy,it stops it.I have always taken at least 1000mg of vit C and usually eat a lot more in fruit.Absolutely no problem.The only thing that too much of it will do is make you spend the day on the toilet.

kater
    Participant

thanks Richie
    I actually got into remission on doxy (and a bunch of other stuff!) –but maybe that has something to do with having lyme in addition to SD–or lyme induced SD, whatever way you want to think about it.
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

RevereRosie
    Participant

I have R/A overlapping with Scleroderma and I recently noticed black and blue spots on the shins of my legs. I brought this to the attention of my Primary Care doctor and he said it was blood under the skin. I was very concerned and he was brushing the topic away saying there is nothing I can do about it. Well, the blood is coming from somewhere?

I was reading that some of you are taking Vit. C????

Otherwise, the Mino is working……..still a tinge of discomfort in my hands but nothing really bad like the beginning of this journy. I did develop a Basal Carcinoma on my right side under my bra area but I noticed that spot three years ago. It was cancer and the Dermatologist cut it out a couple of weeks ago. I go back in July for a follow up.

I’ve been a tad depressed lately but otherwise if it wasn’t for this online site, I would be nuts by now! Thank you everyone for your support and help.

Hugggggggggggggggggggggggggs, Rosie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Lynne,
    @Lynne G./SD wrote:

Good morning Phil,rise and shine and get that second cup of coffee hehehe.Vit does not cause scurvy,it stops it.

Thanks for pointing that out. Somehow I managed to leave out the word “deficiency.” Isn’t it funny how one can be thinking of a word when composing a sentence, and yet somehow the word never makes it onto the page? 🙂

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

HI –I think Phil hit it correct –I take 1000 mg daily of vit C primarily to ward off colds etc —I would consider that a moderate dose —I certainly dont need anything for collagen production and would certainly not risk say 5000 mg daily –moderation is the key word –
    richie

kater
    Participant

Rosie! Don’t panic! How long have you been on mino? I am doubtful that the spots are blood but more likely classic blue pigment spots from the mino. That is a favourite spot for it! I have it too. I switched to doxy and it went, but back on mino and I have it again. Oh well I say! Do a little research on mino pigmentation and you will see it says this is often the first site for discolouration–not sure why. It is bound iron, I would query your doctor again–maybe he doesn’t know too much about mino use?? Hope this helps
    kate

RevereRosie
    Participant

@kater wrote:

Rosie! Don’t panic! How long have you been on mino? I am doubtful that the spots are blood but more likely classic blue pigment spots from the mino. That is a favourite spot for it! I have it too. I switched to doxy and it went, but back on mino and I have it again. Oh well I say! Do a little research on mino pigmentation and you will see it says this is often the first site for discolouration–not sure why. It is bound iron, I would query your doctor again–maybe he doesn’t know too much about mino use?? Hope this helps
    kate

I’ve been on Mino for 10-11 months now. It took a good 5 months or so to see some subtle welcoming changes. I’m not in half the pain I used to be in. I still can’t wear my rings as my fingers are so fat but I believe that is a Scleroderma issue and not R/A.

Thanks Kate…………Hugs, Rosie

richie
    Participant

Hi I would say its a 90% possibility its from the minocin –I have quite a few spots on my lower ankles –never really got worse and I have been taking 200 mg daily of minocin for over 15 years now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another possibility not that many doctors even have knowledge of is that the minocin turns internal tissues and organs a dark color -which is absolutely nothing and totally nothing to even address –Any scrape or bruise will expose some of this tissue –but it goes away from view –Two instances I ran across this –I had a squamus cell removed from my leg —when the doctor cut it away exposed all the dark tissue –the doctor was perplexed until I explained this property of minocin —next visit she made it a point to mention this to me and confirmed as she researched it !!!!!!!!!! Second instance was when I had an eye exam –I use a doctor who is extre3mely thorough –after looking into the back of my eye he gets all excited and tells me about the back of my eye not being white but a dark gray –again I told him about the minocin –There has also been cases where folks had surgery on organs and those organs were very dark —Its meaningless and folks really should be aware of this -when a doctor stumbles upon this situation -a ready answer should be provided —
    richie

RevereRosie
    Participant

Thank you Richie for easing my mind. Most appreciated.

Hugs, Rose

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.