Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    notes2vic
    Participant

It's been 18 months since I was first diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, although it was misdiagnosed and brushed aside as bursitis or tendinitis for 9 months prior to that.

Nothing can prepare you for living with chronic pain, and to be told that your body is degenerating and there is no cure. I was 29 when my body started hurting in ways it never had before. I would wake up in the morning and inexplicably not be able to move an arm or a leg, and my joints had a deep ache. It was moving around my body rapidly at this stage, and I was treating myself with as many anti-inflammatory drugs that I could get my hands on.
    The pain and weakness I experience at times is overwhelming. Turning from one side to the other can be so painful I have to work up the guts to do it. At times I have been so weak that I can't even pull the sheets up over me. I've had to ask Gerald (my partner) to lift me out of bed and dress me some mornings. And ask him to turn the shower on, pour a cup of tea, chop vegetables, help me out of the bath… the list goes on (thanks Gerald's endless patience and Mum's positive help and energy I somehow get through these hard days) I have had to limp for so long -even on days when I think I am walking ok, people will come up and ask me what I've done to my leg, old people over-take me and religious people come up to me to invite me to learn about God.

Back in London, I'd had to quit my job because of my pain and immobility (and very unsympathetic employers). My Rheumatologist prescribed steroids and methotrexate and told me to stop being in denial about my condition. The known side effects of these first line drugs made me want to dig myself into a hole and be covered with dirt. It would be a lifetime of drug-dependence – starting with the above, and inevitably adding more poisons. There had to be another way.

We decided we had to try and get me better, so we left the terrible London weather and global financial crisis behind and traveled home to Melbourne via India.

India seems like an odd place to go, right? Well, I was chasing a cure for RA without drugs. We had been referred to a respected Ayurvedic (Traditional Hindu Medicine) Doctor in Pune, India. India had never been top of my list of places to visit, but I wanted to get well.
    It turned out to be the inspiration I needed to keep following my path. After I had been in Pune for a few days I was off all pain-killers and anti-inflammatories. And within a week of treatment I was feeling 80% better – I felt like I could run again – or at least run a few steps to save myself when crossing a road in India!

We stayed in India for 6 weeks, and we were treated for about a month. Diet, herbs, daily massage, sauna's and basti's put me on the right track to healing.

When I arrived back in Melbourne (in May 2009), I gradually started feeling worse – we arrived to the beginning of winter, and had the usual stresses of moving back into our home. We took things slowly, as I was unable to help Gerald much. But is felt so good to be home.

Since May I have been trialing various diets, had many blood tests and procedures and seen various health care professionals – all of them claiming to be able to treat RA, and many of them failing. I have seen Naturopaths, Intergrative medical consultants, chinese medicine practitioners, indian medicine practitioners, general practitioners, rheumatolgists, gastroenterologists, reiki masters, chiropractors and more!

I have tried many diets, including elimination diets, anti-candida diet and Ayurvedic diets.

The diet I have had most success with excludes foods that are high in salicylates and sugars, I also need to avoid foods that contain gluten, dairy, sulphur, and yeasts.

The new diet came after visiting my new GP and Naturopath, who together have started me on the antibiotic protocol.

The bugs I tested positive for include lymes, cytomegalovirus] and C pneumoniae. Although these bugs may be present in many people, my immune system has been overloaded and these bugs produce symptoms of arthritic pain and fibromyalgia in my body. It is really interesting, that the last time I had a cold or flu was over 2 years ago. Any bug I interact with will always head straight for my joints and cause problems there. In fact, my 'guru doctor' said that when I start getting colds again she will be happy, as it is a sign my immune system is operating properly.

Treatment: I started treatment 3 months ago:
     1/4 250mg Klacid 3x week,
     1/2 375mg ceclor CD 3x week,
    1/2 150mg Rulide 3x week.
    Magnesium, fish oil, Inflamese, probiotics.

My fast response to the AP treatment is directly related to my Chiropractor, massage therapist, singing teacher and strict diet. Thank you, thank you, thank you :o)

My path to healing involves physical healing, mental healing and spiritual healing.

Thought is the biggest source of power we have to heal ourselves.  I feel in my mind that I am going to be 100% well soon.  Watch this space.:):D

notes2vic
    Participant

Progress has been good, actually REALLY good.  Except my wrists are still swollen and weak and painful. So, I've seen my Doctors and swapped the Klacid for Dalacin C.  After my first dose I felt so much better for the next 3 days, then I took my second dose last night and my wirsts have flared. Damn.  I had let myself dream that I was rid of the pain.  I'm hoping it's just a Herx reaction (I've never really had a bad herx reaction).

If this doesn't start to work in the next 2-3 weeks I will need to start on steroids to reduce wrist inflammation, because they've been like this for 2 years now and I – just – want – a – break!

notes2vic
    Participant

I was soooo frustrated with my swollen wrists that I decided to take the steroids. 

20mg a day for 5 days. 

Nothing seemed to change at first.

Three days in though, and I started to feel so happy and full of energy.  It was fantastic!
    My wrists started to reduce in swelling and heat.  And I felt better than I have in years.:roll-laugh:

And then I stopped the steroids.

Three days later, I was suffering migratory muscle pains, an upper respiratory infection, swollen, hot wrists and shoulder pains.:crying:

I went to the Doctor and changed the AB I was on.

One week later and things seem to be settling down.

I'll avoid the steroids as much as possible from now on. 

It was fun while it lasted, but the aftermath is a big disincentive.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Personal History and Progress Threads’ is closed to new topics and replies.