Home Forums General Discussion Update

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    m.
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I just renewed my prescription with Dr. S in IA. I’ve been on Doxy since my first RA flare in 2008. My joints do not burn any longer, which is a huge relief. However, my joints do ache somewhat, off & on. I’m on 150 mg Doxy MWF. I raised the dose from 100 mg MWF last fall, hoping it would knock out the last of my achiness & lingering fatigue & low mood.

I haven’t noticed much of a difference, good or bad, with the dose increase.

I hope that one day I can go down to a maintenance dose of the Doxy, or even drop it completely. But right now, it’s my security blanket.

No questions, really. Just thought I’d pop in after a lengthy absence.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi m. – nice to see you! Glad you have seen some good results. Was there a reason for the choice to use doxy versus mino? Also wonder whether worth shooting off an email to Dr S. re upping your dose further to 100mg BID MWF and/or whether it is worth considering adding something else to the mix. I believe he is good at responding. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,

This may sound silly , but could you please let me know what BID stands for …… I have racked my brain but still don’t know what it means………thanks Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sure Annie. It’s used on prescriptions mostly and means twice daily (from the Latin ‘bis in die’). Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

m.
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

Hi m. – nice to see you! Glad you have seen some good results. Was there a reason for the choice to use doxy versus mino? Also wonder whether worth shooting off an email to Dr S. re upping your dose further to 100mg BID MWF and/or whether it is worth considering adding something else to the mix. I believe he is good at responding. Lynnie

Hi Lynnie,

I went with Doxy, from the beginning, because I was advised it was the best choice for my situation. My MD advised that I should start with Doxy and reserve Minocin for “down the line” should the Doxy stop doing its magic. His other thought was, for me, without insurance, the Doxy was MUCH less expensive.

Yeah, I’m not sure what to do re: my dose or adding in other antibiotics. In many ways, I feel fine/good. I can put up with some aches here and there, as long as I don’t flare with that terrible burning & pain. I don’t know how pain free I should expect. Small aches & any morning stiffness 100% gone too? Is that even a reasonable expectation?

Also, I’ve been sick with some sort of cold or flu virus 3x this season, and each time, I had increased joint pain. Worse when I was feverish.

So, yes, I guess I can see making an argument for increasing the dose again, to 200 mg MWF. Boy, I do worry about what it’s doing to my gut health, even though I take my probiotics faithfully.

Thanks for listening.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

Sure Annie. It’s used on prescriptions mostly and means twice daily (from the Latin ‘bis in die’). Lynnie

Lynnie, thanks for the BID meaning, sorry about the late reply, have been away for a few days………..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I went with Doxy, from the beginning, because I was advised it was the best choice for my situation. My MD advised that I should start with Doxy and reserve Minocin for “down the line” should the Doxy stop doing its magic. His other thought was, for me, without insurance, the Doxy was MUCH less expensive.

m. – have you thought about http://www.buylowdrugs.com – think $165 for 100 caps and lots of people on this Forum use this reputable Canadian online pharmacy

Also, I’ve been sick with some sort of cold or flu virus 3x this season, and each time, I had increased joint pain. Worse when I was feverish.

Interesting my AP doc and Naturopath believe our bodies response to abx can change when we have a flu, especially swine flu. Wonder if you might need to discuss adding in another abx, at least for now? Maybe zith? clindy IV’s??

So, yes, I guess I can see making an argument for increasing the dose again, to 200 mg MWF. Boy, I do worry about what it’s doing to my gut health, even though I take my probiotics faithfully.

Cant see why, on a MWF regime that should be a problem, if you are taking a very good probiotic. It’s the “temporary” gut flora that abx disturb the balance of and, if they are constantly being replenished by you, should take care of that. Constant use of NSAIDS over extended period of time is likely to be a much bigger problem for the gut and for inflammation. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Maz
    Keymaster

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

m. – have you thought about http://www.buylowdrugs.com – think $165 for 100 caps and lots of people on this Forum use this reputable Canadian online pharmacy

Hi Lynnie,

Just for general info, Steifel brand Minocin is currently unavailable through any Canadian online pharmacy at the moment. Here is Pablio’s recent thread on this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5897&hilit=canada

Hopefully, it will become available again in future, but for now it seems it could be for an indefinite period.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.