Home Forums General Discussion UNTREATABLE FORM OF LYME DISEASE COULD HIT 2 MILLION AMERICANS BY 2020, SCIENTIS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster
    Uptowngirl
    Participant

I’ve done some reading about Lyme and this does not surprise me. I’m sure Lyme needs more research dollars. Our pets are at risk as well.

Reactive Arthritis/ Adult Rheumatic Fever due to strep throat. History of probable Lyme disease. Current medication: Amoxicillin and supplements. Daughter of the late Richie (scleroderma and AP patient for 19 years).

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Uptowngirl,

You’re right – more research into this complex organism and it’s long term effects in humans is surely needed! This, bearing in mind that the article is talking about the standard 2-4 weeks of doxycycline or short-term cedtriaxone IV therapy (usually prescribed for neuroborreliosis) rather than long term antibiotic therapy that is sometimes needed. So, what this article is really describing is a post-Lyme syndrome where it is assumed the bug is eradicated with short-term treatment rather than that there is a new, more virulent strain of Lyme.

What is good is that there is growing recognition that around 10% of those infected are being recognized for having lingering symptoms rather than just being head cases with a self-pitying malingering syndrome. It’s actually unscientific to assume any infection has “gone” after a short course of antibiotics, because we know sone infections are chronic, like TB, leprosy, strep, p.gingivalis, e-coli UTI’s, etc. So why not a tricky, pleomomorphic bug like Lyme?

This dogma is going to take time to unravel and the right research indeed needs to be funded and conducted.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

I was just talking with one of the vets at our clinic.Most people remove ticks from their pets but some just don’t want to do it and run to the clinic.Last week they removed 20 ticks and 10 came back positive for Lyme.This thing is getting nasty despite having one of the worst winters on record

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.