Home Forums General Discussion Tick season here – MA declares public health crisis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

Weather changes have been occurring worldwide and, here in the US, some parts have been experiencing an unusually warm winter. At the end of Jan, here in CT, we were having sunny days in the 60s! These warmer temps mean that ticks have not had to go underground to hibernate when the ground would normally freeze over and, as a result, this year is expected to produce larger numbers of these critters and more Lyme disease in humans:

http://www.newburyportnews.com/local/x1511609332/Lyme-cases-increasing-quickly

March 9, 2012
    Lyme cases increasing quickly

“The increased occurrence of Lyme disease in Massachusetts is so profound that the state Legislature considers it a public health crisis.”

Krys
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

…an unusually warm winter. ..These warmer temps mean that ticks have not had to go underground to hibernate when the ground would normally freeze over and, as a result, this year is expected to produce larger numbers of these critters and more Lyme disease in humans

Today I’ve come across this lovely information while leafing through “Healing Lyme Disease Naturally” by Wolf D. Storl, page 43:

Ticks can take temperatures way below freezing….Theoretically extremely long, cold winters destroy them. Extremely mild winters, however, are even worse for them. When it is too warm, they do not fall into torpor, the state of total inactivity, and thus expend so much energy that they do not survive into the next season.

I hope it’s true! Krys

Krys
    Participant

Bad news. 😈 :mrgreen:
    My friends’ nephew reported that the trees by his house in his north IL suburb are ALL covered in ticks!!!
    Maybe taking extra precautions this year is REALLY a good idea.
    Krys

jaminhealth
    Participant

living in a desert type environment I would think doesn’t bring on ticks. No ticks in the desert, I don’t think.

Kalinda
    Participant

Hi RB poster,
    Have you watched the documentary “Under Our Skin”. I believe they interviewed a park ranger from New Mexico that got lyme.
    Kalinda

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.