Home Forums General Discussion Thyroid question

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    eann
    Participant

Hi Theresa, I am hypothyroid too. I used to take Armour thyroid, but they discontinued it and I am on Levothyroxine now.

I see others are still on Armour. The pharmacies here can't get it. I was told they had stopped production.

My thyroid actually was one of the first things to go wrong and I was told they had no idea why. I am a firm believer that nothing in the body happens for no reason.

Good for you for taking the time and energy to research it. Good luck.

Ann

Kim
    Participant

Hey Ann,

My doc told me Armour is still in production; in fact, he just received his order, but I've been on a long back-order list from CVS.  Even though it's still hard to get you might have luck if you call around.

Take care…..kim

p.s. If you want Armour, you might check with a compounding pharmacy because I've had it compounded before when that was the only way to get it.

BeatingRA
    Participant

Hi Rosemary and Ann,

I was prescribed Synthroid and CVS gave me Levothyroxine.  I haven't started taking it yet.  I'm going on vacation a week from Friday so if I decide to take it I don't think I'll start until after I get back.  I also have an appointment with my PCP a few days after I get back so I'm going to just keep researching and decide what tests to ask for at that visit.

The weird thing is I don't feel that bad.  I'm in remission from the RA, I've been a little tired but I usually am in the winter.  I usually perk up again in March when I know spring is coming soon.  Can you be hypo and not have symptoms?

Theresa

Kim
    Participant

Theresa,

Being tired is a symptom of hypothyroidism.

Hope you have a nice vacation. 🙂

Take care…..kim

Rosey UK
    Participant

Hi Theresa

It took me a long time before I gave in and took them. I read they work better if you take them early in the morning away from everything. Sometimes if I go for a wee around 4/5am I take it then.

If they've got it wrong with you it will still show up correct when you have blood test, and if it turns out you don't need them afer all you can stop.  In the UK  when  on thyroxine all our prescriptions including thyroxine and anything else are free.

Have a great time on your holidays and how fantastic to be in remmssion I'm soooo pleased for you WELL DONE!!!

Rosemary xx

Parisa
    Participant

I've been able to get Armour from CVS for the past few months when everyone else seemed to be out.  Then,  in December I was told they didn't have anymore 60 mg but was able to get it in 30mg (x2) for another month.    I had read on Mary Shomon's site that people were complaining that the new Armour doesn't work as well.  I think there might be something to those stories as I've definitely been feeling cold and lack of energy.  I'm talking to my naturopath tomorrow to see if I can get a compounded version as I know if I got to my primary the only options he'll give will be Synthroid.

There are some people that don't do well on Armour but it worked fairly well for me so I'd like to stick to something similar.

Patti D
    Participant

I am taking the pharma compounded thyroid. I have been on this now 60 mg. once per day for 2 weeks and am still really cold and take for ever to get energy for the day. Every other day is different but this week have been tired all week.
    How long will it take to see improvement?

Thanks all!

Patti

Kim
    Participant

Hey Patti,

Have you tried splitting your dose and taking the second half in the afternoon?  Also, remember to take on an empty stomach for better absorption.

Take care…..kim

p.s. You're always cold because you live in WISCONSIN ~ everybody's cold there. :roll-laugh::roll-laugh::roll-laugh:

Parisa
    Participant

Patti,

When I started Armour many years ago, I think I started feeling results within a few days.  I don't remember it taking a long time.  Also make sure you aren't taking it around any calcium products. 

jaminhealth
    Participant

Ah that good old THYROID issue.  It wasn't until I read:  Stop The THyroid Maddness book and became a member of realthyroidhelp.com 

These people know so much about being OPTIMAL on thyroid meds.  They preach getting TSH as low as possible and Free T3 and Free T4 at the higher ends of the labs.  I'm there NOW.

And finally taking 3 grains of Armour/Nature-Throid combo.   I still have a good supply of Armour and can get NT now.  So I mix them both as they both have T4 and T3, pretty much the same only diff. companies.

I don't know what is happening to Armour.  I know they changed their formula (fillers) which I  understand but is it gone forever, I just don't know.  And each time I call Forest Pharma I get upset with them.

Many people are buying Erfa from Canada.  It's the closest one can get to the original Armour.  I may try it soon.   The best pharmacy to buy it from is Universal Drugs and prices are very good.   And delivery is no problem.  Many on realthyroidhelp.com are now taking Erfa.

Other issues re: thryoid functioning well is getting adrenals working good, Vit D optimal levels, Ferritin, DHEA and others.   We talk about it all over there. 

There's a new book and I'll post it after I look it up.  It's something like if I keep getting “normal” from my doc why do I feel so lousy……    jam

BTW: I had horrible times on synthroid and many on the RTH board call it syncrap!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ Thyroid question’ is closed to new replies.