Home Forums General Discussion Thyroid problems

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Gang;
    I subscribe to Dr. Dean’s news letter and this was interesting so I figured I should pass it on for those that might be interested.
    Today’s Wellness Tip From the Future…and Dr. Carolyn Dean

Aloha,

Currently there is an epidemic of hypothyroidism that most doctors can’t properly diagnose because blood tests aren’t accurate enough. The most common cause of primary hypothyroidism is Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. This is an autoimmune condition in which the body’s immune system attacks its own thyroid cells. This condition is proven by finding thyroid antibodies in the blood.

Allopathic–or as I like to call it–allopathetic medicine thinks that’s the end of the story. If you have thyroid antibodies, therefore you have Hashimoto’s and hypothyroidism. The standard treatment is synthetic thyroid hormone replacement and that’s that.

But the question arises, from inquiring minds that actually use their brains for thinking. What causes the body to attack the thyroid gland? Allopathetic medicine says the cause is unknown.

A relatively unknown cause that I ascribe to is the cross reactivity of candida yeast toxins with thyroid tissue. Yes, it’s possible that an overgrowth of yeast is blocking your thyroid receptors. Read my article, Yeast and Inflammation to understand more about this condition.

I decided to write this blog because recently a well-known nutritionist, Donna Gates, leapt into the thyroid fray in a recent blog: Don’t Make These 2 Common Mistakes with Your Thyroid!

Donna Eden says you shouldn’t supplement with iodine, which is also the allopathetic approach.

For a rebuttal, I went to my friend Dr. Roby Mitchell, who says “Most practitioners are operating from “conventional wisdom” paradigms. Conventional wisdom is misinformation that continues to be perpetuated simply because it continues to get repeated by so called experts. The typical mistake with iodine supplementation is the shallow understanding that its only role is as a substrate for the formation of thyroid hormone. Not so. Every cell in the body needs iodine and iodide is also required to prevent attack from the sea of microbes they are surrounded by. Our bodies are saturated by 10 times more germs than human cells. Iodine supplementation serves the same purpose in the body that its chemical cousin chlorine does in a swimming pool or municipal water supply; it prevents germ overgrowth. Therefore, much more iodide is needed than just for thyroid hormone formation.”

I used to order 24-hr urine tests for iodine on many of my clients. There was not one person who had sufficient iodine in their body. Now I recommend low dose iodine supplementation in the form of Nascent Iodine for most of my clients. See my blog “Taking Iodine For Your Thyroid.”

Donna Eden also says people are mistaken when they think that thyroid hormone replacement can fix hypothyroidism. And in this instance she is right. She recommends healing the underlying causes of an autoimmune condition by avoiding sugar, grains and processed oils. Which is essentially how I begin to treat thyroid disease.

So, the take home message for thyroid disease is:
    1. Read the best overview of thyroid disease, Dr. Mark Starr’s book, Hypothyroidism Type 2: The Epidemic.

2. Include T3, T4, TSH and thyroid antibodies in thyroid tests.

3. Go on a yeast free diet.

4. Take low dose iodine for your whole body, not just your thyroid.

Carolyn Dean MD ND

The Doctor of the Future

RECOMMENDATIONS: To get well and stay well, join my 2-year online wellness program called Completement Now! See the various types of magnesium on my website under Resources. However, the most commonly used magnesium is called Natural Calm which you can get at VitaCost.com or any health food store. Under books you’ll find my eBooks: How to Change Your Life with Magnesium, Future Health Now Encyclopedia & Death by Modern Medicine. For angstrom minerals go to Health Shop. For Detoxing I use LL’s Magnetic Clay and Magnesium Flakes. For yeast overgrowth, IBS and digestive disorders, I recommend Prescript Assist. For Coconut products, whey powder and green powders go to Tropical Traditions. For food-based supplements Grown by Nature offers my readers a 20% discount on your purchases. At checkout, just enter the code: gbn123.

NOTE: Only you can know if something is helping you. If you don’t feel well on a supposed beneficial product, listen to your body and stop taking it! Knowing when to Not take something is a big part of taking responsibility for your health.

WARNING: I cannot answer personal health questions by email. However, please send general questions that I may be able to answer in my blog. But first, google my name with the condition you are inquiring about and see if I’ve already addressed it somewhere on the web.

LINK TO TODAY’S TIP: You can post a link to an online copy of today’s wellness tip (e.g. on Twitter, Facebook, your work’s water cooler) by using the following URL…
    http://drcarolyndean.com/tips?e=0235-1&p=4406

PASS IT ON: Please forward this email to any friends who’d be receptive to knowing the truth about real HEALTHcare. I appreciate your referral!

SUBSCRIBE! If someone forwarded this email to you please sign up for your own subscription – plus get a complimentary copy of week one of my 2-year wellness program. Just go to… http://drcarolyndean.com/futurehealthnow

DISCLAIMER The entire contents of this email are based upon the opinions of Dr. Carolyn Dean, unless otherwise noted. The information in this email is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of Dr. Dean. Dr. Dean encourages you to make your own health care decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.

Krys
    Participant

Brilliant!
    Thank you very much for posting it. I have just been trying to figure out how to supply iodine when I very obviously need it (very tired without Iodoral) and last 2 days having thyroid spasms (waves of small contractions) after I take Iodoral. And they’ve been lasting the whole day today.

Every cell in the body needs iodine and iodine is also required to prevent attack from the sea of microbes they are surrounded by….It prevents germ overgrowth.

Nascent iodine? I’ll check it out. I wonder if Kelp would do, too. It used to work earlier, then it was not enough….

Candida as possible root cause of thyroid dysfunction? Very interesting!

Avoiding sugar, grains, processed oils…I’ve been on this diet 2 years now and the problem deepened. So, it’s good but not enough to heal.

Take low dose iodine for your whole body, not just your thyroid.I wonder what she means by that. That one should take it even if thyroid seems OK?

Only you know if something is helping you. If you don’t feel well on a supposed beneficial product…stop taking it! Knowing when to Not take something is a big part of taking responsibility for your health.

Wow! Very empowering advice! Not necessarily easy…our bodies seem to speak in a foreign language, so difficult at times to understand, except that something is wrong!

Krys

dixiegirl
    Participant

The very qualified doctor I’ve been going to (an MD who specializes in natural medicine and autoimmune disorders) is 100% positive that gluten can cause thyroid problems (hypo- and hyper-). My mom and I both have allergies to gluten. Since changing our diets, our thyroid tests have dramatically improved.
    Just a thought!

jaminhealth
    Participant

Oh boy, I could write my own book on this subject…I went 10 long years with that “normal” dx….and needed thryoid all along….threw away the anti-D’s once my O.D. called in Armour for me, no labs, no nothing…I just called him and “he knew”….

SO MANY are taking Inferior support for thyroids or no support. I’ve been on Armour since 2002…after struggling since 1991…

I take Iosol Iodine daily 2-3 drops in 1/4 glass of “clean” water…when I miss it, whichh I don’t now, I get breast tenderness and pain….I’ve learned so much about this “STUFF”…..It is a CRIME that so many are suffering with docs who are not doing a good job…and a lot don’t care about giving this very inexpensive med, would rather slap on AD’s that are so un-necessary and EXPENSIVE>>…

I also take 400mcg of Selenium to rid or reduce the Hashi numbers….jam

jaminhealth
    Participant

If you’re drinking fluoridated water, don’t….. Fluoride plays havoc on our thyroids…..get out of the shower fast too, unless you have a shower filter that filters out the nasty chemicals.

Anonymous
    Participant

Thyroid disorders for the most part are treatable; however, untreated thyroid disease can produce serious results in other parts of the body. Improved public shower filter for any one thanks.

Anonymous
    Participant

I was diagnosed RA and hyperthyroidism the same month.
    Linda

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.