Home Forums General Discussion Throat involement with RA?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Just wondering if anybody has had the throat issues like , vocal chord swelling , sensation of something in the back of the throat, horseness. I have read that about 1/2 of RA patients experience this. I have had it for a little while and was hoping it may subside. Any advice would help, thanks

Chris

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Definitely Chris. That sensation exactly. I don’t have it constantly. Most of the time throat is fine. Maybe a couple days a month now it’s bad. Been on abx for a little over a year and a half. So it’s possible yours could go away too.

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Maz
    Keymaster

Yes!

Rheumatoid Arthritis and the Cricoarytenoid Joint

Alternate things to consider are, for example, thyroid nodules and GERD.

maddie
    Participant

Hi Chris

I have had a feeling of phlegm in my throat for 17 years but I only started having joint problems last year.

When my throat gets bad, I cut up some organic ginger and put it in hot water to make a tea to soothe it.

It could also be caused by allergies, post nasal drip, GERD etc.

Best wishes

Maddie 🙂

No official diagnosis yet but probably some type sero-negative, symmetrical inflammatory arthritis.
    Started AP treatment December 2018. 200mg Minocin MR Mon/Wed/Fri.

Chris
    Participant

Pinkmoth, I have had it before and it went away, so I am hoping it is just a flare in that area. Thanks to all that respond and care. All the support helps.

Chris

Chris
    Participant

PinkMoth, Have you ever went to an ears, nose and mouth doc to get it checked out to see if the is any steroid that would help like Prednizone? I think it will calm down on its own but was just curious, thanks

Chris

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Chris,
    It has never been so severe for me that I would have ever taken Prednisone for it. I only took 2 doses of Prednisone ever in my life and really want to avoid ever having to use such medications (which is why I’m doing AP!)
    I think it’s a good sign that you had it before and it went away. Are you on antibiotics? Whenever I have weird stuff like comes and goes like that I pay close attention to what I’m eating and whether it feels better or worse before/after certain meals. I can almost always find a correlation between a food and oscillating symptoms like that.

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.