Home Forums General Discussion Three docs discuss future of RA treatments, mino mentioned

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joe M
    Participant

Thought this was interesting:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/735749

I know most here won’t agree with what the one doc says about mino, but overall they seem open to the idea of an infectious agent being involved in the etiology of RA. How many rheumies these days would even mention mino and other antibiotics if asked about RA treatments?

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi Joe,

Just listened to this, very very interesting !! thanks for posting it.

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

Maz
    Keymaster

@Joe M wrote:

How many rheumies these days would even mention mino and other antibiotics if asked about RA treatments?

Well, judging by those who visit here and say, “I was never told about this option by my rheumy,” very few…and perhaps n’ere the twain shall meet when unsubstantiated arguments such as these are perpetuated:

“Dr. Paget: I think it’s true. Although I thought that the lecture was extraordinary — a typical Gerry Weissmann type of lecture — the fact is he quoted minocycline as being an effective drug in RA, which it never has been shown to be.”

Actually, this statement isn’t true and, quite apart from Brown’s long tenure as a rheumatologist successfully using AP for RA and other rheumatic diseases, there have been plenty of studies showing just the opposite, not to mention innumerable people who come through here annually who have been successful on AP and have not been studied. Also, the Harris Poll which RBF ran to establish patient experience of AP would seem to indicate otherwise. If this evidence isn’t enough for Dr. Paget, the the old adage that “absence of evidence isn’t evidence of absence” perhaps applies here, too, because more studies might be run on this therapy if there was to be any financial gain in doing so. Unfortunately, for cheap, out of patent abx, this isn’t likely to happen.

Agree we might perhaps be getting closer to a universal acceptance of infectious etiology for RA, but judging by the remarks made in this discussion, no closer to finding ways to treat it that don’t shut down various aspects of precious immune function. There is still a a ways to go…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.