Home Forums General Discussion Thoughts on Minocycline 50 mg BID QD & food intake.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    gratefulgirl
    Participant

Hi there, I’ve been taking 100 mg Minocycline QOD at 10 pm. I

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Grateful;
    I almost always have taken my Mino with food so as not to upset my stomach.I just make sure there is not much iron or calcium in it.One loses about 15% of the efficacy but it was worth it to me not to feel nautious.

gratefulgirl
    Participant

Lynne, thanks for sharing your experience. My brain continues to expand with all this shared knowledge! It was hard not eating anything 2 hrs before & after the dose. I have yet to have the upset tummy, but don’t want to go there, either! 😛

Krys
    Participant

My stomach (big nausea in the beginning) stopped being upset after about 1 month of doxy. I took minocycline for a couple of months and was very excited that I finally could eat while taking abx (no 2 hour window). My LLMD told me to avoid all dairy with minocycline. Of course anything very high in magnesium or calcium, too, but not to worry about regular food’s content of either of them.
    Warm wishes, Krys

gratefulgirl
    Participant

@Krys wrote:

My stomach (big nausea in the beginning) stopped being upset after about 1 month of doxy. I took minocycline for a couple of months and was very excited that I finally could eat while taking abx (no 2 hour window). My LLMD told me to avoid all dairy with minocycline. Of course anything very high in magnesium or calcium, too, but not to worry about regular food’s content of either of them.
    Warm wishes, Krys

Many thanks Krys! I will also proceed w/ caution around taking anything high in mg & ca or dairy with Minocycline. Now just need folks feedback on taking Mino at this frequency. 😛

gratefulgirl
    Participant

reposting here d/t relevance to topic!

Postby John McDonald

PhilC
    Participant

You can take minocycline with food, and that includes dairy products. However, strictly avoiding all dairy products is not a bad idea for other reasons. And even though one can take minocycline with food, it would be prudent to avoid taking minocycline with food that has been fortified with minerals (usually iron and/or calcium).

“When minocycline hydrochloride tablets were given concomitantly with a meal, which included dairy products, the extent of absorption of minocycline hydrochloride tablets was slightly decreased (6%). The peak plasma concentrations were slightly decreased (12%) and delayed by 1.09 hours when administered with food, compared to dosing under fasting conditions. Minocycline HCl may be administered with or without food.”
    [Emphasis added.]

Source:
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=37baf13f-cc65-44a1-93d9-e5213875af1a

“When MINOCIN

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

gratefulgirl
    Participant

Phil, thank you for your reply! I’ve upped my dosing from 100 mg qod to 50 mg BID, so I’m not going to overly worry about the interference by food intake. I am paying particular attn to supplement & probiotic use, keeping those things 2 hrs away before & after my Minocycline dose.

Silly me, I also tried to decrease my Motrin intake at the same time. Still trying to manage what my body can do & do without — pain med wise. After a decrease to 1 Aleeve in 8 – 12 hrs, I did fairly well until I tried to walk through Ikea & Home Depot. Now I’m back to two Aleeve 8 – 12 hrs. Sorry for subject change. I do appreciate your help/ input & the links!!!! GG

kwlile
    Participant

I went to dr. F in riverside, California and he told me to stop taking my mino before bed. It can damage your esophagus. I now take 100 mg when I get up in the mornings, my probiotics at lunch and mino again before dinner – everyday.

K

gratefulgirl
    Participant

Hi K, thanks for your info! I had actually changed my schedule to something just like yours when I upped my dose from 100 mg QOD. Only difference is I’m just at Minocycline 50 mg BID which I take first thing in am with Aloe Vera Force & again at 8 pm w/ my second dose of Relafen. I also take my probiotics around lunch time or a little after. So far, so good.

Many thanks, GG

gratefulgirl
    Participant

@kwlile wrote:

I went to dr. F in riverside, California and he told me to stop taking my mino before bed. It can damage your esophagus. I now take 100 mg when I get up in the mornings, my probiotics at lunch and mino again before dinner – everyday.

K

Hi Kwililie, I’m thinking of taking my Minocycline up to 100 mg BID. How have you done on this? I’m 5′ 3″ @ 110 and have done well on 50 mg BID. Thanks for any input you can share! GG

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.