Home Forums General Discussion Thanksgiving & Vodka Shots to Crazy Sexy Diet!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gratefulgirl
    Participant

OK, so I admitted that I was going full boar on eating everything on the Thanksgiving table — especially since I cooked it all! Then next day walked with some difficulty for many Manhattan blocks taking in the store windows & Forbidden Broadway — funny! Then topped off the evening at Russian Samovar, our fave for blinis & caviar & a HUGE no – no: two Vodka Peach shots. Woah baby, did I feel the pain. Walking back to the train, instead of feeling grateful for my family & our time together in this Big Apple City, I felt stabbing pains through my joints – so we taxi cabbed it the rest of the way!

This proved to be a turning point!. My daughter had just read the Crazy, Sexy Diet & insisted that I needed to grab a copy. I’m still reading it, and have not even reached the recipes yet, but it had me grabbing anything veggie & adding all the goodies I’ve been reading in posts here ie xtra virgin olive oil, whole lemons. With these goodies, I began my mixer/ smoothie adventure.

I’m on day three & feeling stronger for it. I’m not at all Vegan — maybe more like 50/50 when I should be 80/20. But it’s a step in the right direction. I’m also avoiding glutens for the FIRST time — yes I’m stubborn, I am, I am.

Would love everyone’s input on their diet habits, links/ books read. I’m sitting next to a smoothie filled w/ cabbage leaf, kale leaves, avocado, xtr virg ooil, fish oil & tomato juice, purified water & sea salt. Yummy. And will admit on the other side is my demitasse of espresso w/ Agave syrup (which is starting to taste toxic to me) — but I’m on my way to weaning.

Have a splended day everyone! GG

niteowl
    Participant

Here’s a link to Alkaline sisters. They have some recipes that I’m just starting to use. I have been looking through Forks ove Knives too.
    http://www.alkalinesisters.com/

Diagnosed with RA in 2012
    Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?
    Had radioactive ablation of hyperactive thyroid in 1997
    autoimmune thrombocytopenia resolved
    Anemia resolved with treatment of RA with Minocycline
    Blood type: B neg

Meds:
    Minocycline 50mg once a week
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg
    Methotrexate 20 mg once a week

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

laurawm
    Participant

Hi GG,

Diet makes a big difference for me – When I cheat, I am exactly as you described – begging for a cab. 🙂 I did some food antibody testing last spring that helped me figure out my diet, though some has been trial and error. Dairy is my number one no no, with sugar, red meat, wheat and products with yeast also being triggers in that order. I do not seem to have a problem with nightshades, coffee, or dark chocolate (thank goodness – I need some pleasures in life). Here’s a link to the lab I tested with, though I know there are several out there that do similar testing – As a side note, I did not test allergic on traditional food allergy testing.

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/patients.asp

I’m growing accustomed to my diet (been doing this for a year now) and on the bright side, I’ve lost weight from baby no. 2 and overall, my diet is healthier than ever, which feels good in spite of everything else. When I first started this diet I thought I’d never adjust and I hung onto all kinds of little things like creamer in my coffee (now organic soy), butter (now earth’s balance), baked goods (now homemade with alternate flours and oils) and desserts (now a square of dark chocolate), but as I began to see how much better I felt when I gave even these small things up, my cravings have changed and I rarely crave foods that are off my diet. Weird how it’s like that, but I’m thankful for it. Also, I do let myself still have a piece of gluten free toast with coffee in the morning – if I take a sacchromyces boulardi ahead of time as I find it helps eat up the candida growth and inflammation I feel when I eat carbs/sugar.

Theoretically, if our leaky guts can be healed so that more of the large particles of our food stay in our gut and out of our bloodstream this should help reduce food sensitivities over time. I take bovine colostrum that is helpful on many levels, but in this regard has been researched extensively on it’s ability to heal leaky gut with success, so it might be worth looking into. I do feel that I am less sensitive to gluten than I was a year ago, which is encouraging.

Best wishes,
    Laura

gratefulgirl
    Participant

@niteowl wrote:

Here’s a link to Alkaline sisters. They have some recipes that I’m just starting to use. I have been looking through Forks ove Knives too.
    http://www.alkalinesisters.com/

Hi niteowl, thanks for sharing the link. I’m going to try the Power Smoothie first. Have you tried it?

Hi Laura, thanks for sharing your experience with food sensitivities & how you’ve gone about making life better for yourself! I, too tested neg on the food allergy/ skin test. So I will ask to have the lab you went to test for food sensitivities. It will be so interesting to have it narrowed down so the guessing game can end.

Thank you both!!!! Kariann

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Kariann,

You might find this message that I just posted in reply to Rena of interest:
    https://www.roadback.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=65292#p65292

Although I don’t know if it’s still true, I read that food allergy testing isn’t all that reliable, so no matter what the results are you still end up having to figure out which foods you are sensitive to by avoiding suspect foods for a period of time and then eating them (one at a time) later on to see how you react. Because of that, some doctors consider those tests a waste of money.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

gratefulgirl
    Participant

Thank you for this info Phil! I see that this will not be easy to ascertain — which foods are my no no’s & which aren’t.

I think I herxed all day today because of the detoxing properties of my green shakes & lemon/ OOil drinks! Oye & Ouch. But I remain optimistic that those bugs are on their way out!

GG

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.