Home Forums General Discussion Teva Generic

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Angelina
    Participant

I ran out of brand name minocin (from Canada) and started with Teva generic. It’s causing a lot of stomach upset, including nausea. Does anyone know if Watson generic would be easier on my stomach? I know Teva is a yellow powder and I have no idea what is used as a filler.
    I’m going to have to pay the $650. for 60 pills (Blue Cross won’t pay for brand name) because after being on this treatment for over 12 years, I know it works.
    Any insights or suggestions appreciated.
    Angelina (RA)

lepartain
    Participant

What do your have that you have had to be on minocine for 12 years?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Angelina;
    I use Teva but always eat something at the same time as I take the antibiotic.Just got to make sure it does not have calcium or iron

Angelina
    Participant

I have rheumatoid arthritis. All I’ve been taking is minocin and some tylenol arthritis when I have some joint pain. It was a struggle to get my rheumatologist to write me a prescription at the beginning, but he saw how my SED rate and other blood work returned to normal, swollen joints disappeared, as well as any morning stiffness. I still get flares, but they’re not bad.
    I did try taking the Teva minocycline with food yesterday, but like clockwork, 1 hour after I took it the nausea was worse than before. I’ve decided not to take it any more. I’m calling around to find out the price of Triax minocin, but it ranges from $650. at CVS to $1000. at Walgreen’s for 60 pills.

Angelina (Rheumatoid Arthritis)

DianaW13
    Participant

Hi Angelina,
    I live in Canada and have stock-piled Minocin for the next couple of months. I called a Wal Mart just over the border in NY and they gave me a price of $432 for 100 – 100mg Minocin. I’m not sure what to do when mine run out. Here in Canada the Mino was under $2 each capsule. I’m doing well on this drug ( I have RA as well) and am a little nervous about starting generic versions.

Any ways, perhaps you can try a Wal Mart near you.

Hope this helps,

Diana

June3443
    Participant

Hi, Angelina, I was on the generic minocycline Ranbaxy for a couple of years and just started with the Teva generic from Walgreen. I seem to think the Teva works better for me. My Walmart doesn’t carry Teva or Watson but my friend can get the Watson generic at her Walmart in a different town same state. My Teva cost around $200 for 180.

I also started doxycycline by mutual and have noticed more stomach problems with it, but try eating a little with it.

Parisa
    Participant

Angelina,

Sometimes you can get insurance to pay for a brand name when you can’t take a generic because it causes issues.

kwlile
    Participant

Angelina, I take the Watson generic and don’t have any stomach issues with it. It helps me more than the brand name Aknemin that I got from a Canadian pharmacy.
    Good luck in your search!

Cheers-
    Kristin

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Angelina,
    @Angelina wrote:

I ran out of brand name minocin (from Canada) and started with Teva generic. It’s causing a lot of stomach upset, including nausea. Does anyone know if Watson generic would be easier on my stomach? I know Teva is a yellow powder and I have no idea what is used as a filler.

The fillers used are corn starch and magnesium stearate. Switching to Watson is unlikely to help because the fillers are the same. Most generic minocycline contains the same, or similar, fillers. However, there are a few that contain different fillers.

Since at least one person on this forum has said that switching generics helped with nausea, it might be worth it to try a different generic. If you decide to do so, I recommend trying the minocycline tablets made by Par Pharmaceutical. They do not contain any corn starch or food dyes. Also, with doxycycline I’ve noticed that tablets seem less likely to cause stomach upset than capsules, so perhaps that is true for minocycline as well. The minocycline tablets made by Par Pharmaceutical are expensive, but since they are a generic, Blue Cross should cover them. To avoid problems, your doctor needs to specify on the prescription which generic the pharmacist needs to use when filling the prescription.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.