Home Forums General Discussion tetracycline for lyme

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Any Lymies using Tetracycline as opposed to minocycline?
    Just wondering. I found the mino stopped all heart symptoms including the severe drop in blood pressure periodically and wondered if anyone knows if the tetracycline would act on this. I have severe pigmentation from the mino still. Just thought someone might know before I go and re-organise my meds. Looks like doxy and mino is it from what I can find out in a hurry. Do not want to go onto high doses of Zith or anything else in place of doxy as it is a macrolide and wish to stay on the GSE. Guess you just have to put up with the pigmentation. Mine just seems to be worse than most.

Maz
    Keymaster

@Rosemary Perth Aust. wrote:

Any Lymies using Tetracycline as opposed to minocycline?
    Just wondering. I found the mino stopped all heart symptoms including the severe drop in blood pressure periodically and wondered if anyone knows if the tetracycline would act on this. I have severe pigmentation from the mino still. Just thought someone might know before I go and re-organise my meds. Looks like doxy and mino is it from what I can find out in a hurry. Do not want to go onto high doses of Zith or anything else in place of doxy as it is a macrolide and wish to stay on the GSE. Guess you just have to put up with the pigmentation. Mine just seems to be worse than most.

Hi Rosemary,

Yes, I’m currently using tetracycline. In terms of equivalency to doxy or mino, 250mg tetra equals 100mg doxy or mino.

I’m sorry, but I don’t know if tetracycline would be as effective for your heart symptoms as mino. All tetras may cause some degree of skin sensitivity and hyperpigmentation if exposed a lot to the sun, though minocycline may also cause the blue/gray bruise-like patches and freckles. Every summer, I get brownish/gray patches of conjoined freckles on my forearms and chest. This is about the worst of it, though, and it always fades during the winter months. I consider it a cosmetic nuisance in terms of cost/benefit. 🙂 I can’t use mino due to DILE, but doxy and tetra are okay for me. I have not found doxy or tetra to be as effective as mino in low doses, however, which is the shame of it, but in combination with other abx, I do very well.

Did you see Dr.F’s research on Protomyxozoa rheumatica? It’s quite interesting, because it is his belief that candida holes up in the bio-film produced by this protozoan, which he calls, “the premier pathogen.” When this protozoan is targeted and its biofilm dismantled, he has found that all other coinfections (including candida) are much easier to treat. You can click on the “here” button at the following link to listen to an interview of Dr. F on this topic (hopefully video will play in Australia!):

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/243-dr-stephen-fry-on-fl1953

Thank you maz

Would you believe My rheumy says we cannot get a tetracycline, but I will investigate further as the pharmacist asked me what type when I got back there. Had to do it all in a bit of a hurry. I will have to go back on the mino for now. Hate the mess it has made of my face and neck. Never seen anything like it. I am inclined to think that it may be conected to toxicity not sure but asked him to check my pituitary gland function as my eyes have been effected badly for several years which i am concerned about. I have developed a stiffness all over, again that feels like something else so felt it best to go back to the original treatment for a while at least. The clinda was very good, however we cannot get the IM lincocin any more only at hospital pharmacies which is a pain. Have this dreadful ear problem that i developed with the Simponi. Have been using some Amoxillin for it but stopped the doxy on those days and it was a problem. After I got an emergency appt. with him I decided to take it the same day for a couple of days knowing full well was contradictory using it with a tetra, but had to do something. was feeling lousy. Kept them as far away from one abother as possible. Had the best couple of days for a while. What happens is if not treated it gets out of control and inflames the one side of the brain which is pretty scary. Anyway I asked him for a script for Amoxillin as I had none left, just in case the clinda did not cover it. Not happy about taking Amox for too long. Also looking into getting hold of some H/peroxide again that is able to be taken orally as well, after reading on the rheamatic org about it. Think that might help the situation.
    Thanks Maz. No have not seen Dr. F’s info. Which are the most important sites to watch ? I was about to see if there was a more recent lyme conference than 2006. Do find it all a bit mind boggling with all these biofilms etc. Have had the infection in the brain right from the start and it makes it hard for me comprehend things. Brain just does not work like it used to. I often have to read things three times to get the gist. Did get a bit of a build up of plaque as well when I tried to go off the cephalosporin so that does not help. thanks for your help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.