Home Forums General Discussion Teen on Mino ~ Tightness Chest, Rapid Heart, Breathing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    blueharper14
    Participant

Hi All,

Our daughter is in her third week of taking Minocycline 100 mg MWF. She is experiencing tightness in her chest, occasional rapid heartbeat, some shortness of breath, trouble taking a deep breath without chest pain and mouth sores.

I have searched the boards and am having little success finding any other posts with similar issues as she is having. She is also newly on Gabapentin for fibromyalgia (which I don’t believe she has). After researching today on the computer, I found that both meds list these complications she is having as side effects, albeit uncommon ones.

We have pulled her off the Gabapentin and tomorrow will be 24 hours (the length of time for it to eliminate from her system). Unfortunately, at this time, she is showing no improvements with her complaints. I am REALLY hoping it isn’t the Mino causing her troubles.

I do know that we need to watch out for fever, rash, swelling of mouth/tongue, skin color changes etc.

As it is New Year’s Day today, I will call her physician tomorrow to see what he plans on doing.

Has anyone experienced these side effects? I was also wondering if they might go away as her body adjusts? Maybe we need to lower her dosage of the Mino?

Thanks for any help you may give.

Krys
    Participant

Hi Blueharper,

I have never experienced this reaction to mino.
    But I get those sx from anti-microbial herbs. I tried to switch to an herbal anti-mycoplasma protocol, and every anti-microbial herb within Buhner’s protocol was causing heart and veins symptoms. Even a tiny amount. I also get pain and tightness within veins. As it is 6 different herbs causing this for me, I think, in my case, it was/is a reaction to die-off. The advice on intense reactions with herbal protocol is take a wash out and then restart at a very small dose (1 drop, or even 1/2 drop of tincture instead of 25 drops) and very slowly keep increasing it. With AP, if reaction is due to a herx, one also restarts at a lower dose after a wash out.

I thought I was getting end of the mouth sores as a reaction to meds, but it turned out to be a reaction to gluten.
    Keeping my fingers crossed that she’s not allergic to mino and that the problem resolves for good,
    Krys

blueharper14
    Participant

Thank you, Krys, for your response to my post. I have SO much to learn. I had never heard of herbal anti-mycoplasma protocol nor Buhner.

Joanne60
    Participant

Hi

So sorry to hear of your daughter’s reaction on mino.

It is worth noting that response to antibiotics good and bad can be an indication of underlying lyme Disease infection.

The bad response is often found within first few weeks and is commonly as a result of a Jaresh Herxheimer reaction which is caused by toxins from die off of the bacteria – very simple terms.

If this happens some Lyme Doctors ease of the antibiotics and then introduce them again at low dose although my guess is she is on a lowish dose if it is AP.

I note your daughter has other symptoms which again can be in indicative of Lyme as it is known for affecting different systems in the body.

Good luck in finding the best help for your daughter

Joanne60
    Participant

I now see that migrating arthritis is her symptom this strongly suggests Lyme which I believe I have heard Lyme doctors say is the only disease that has a migratory pattern.

You may find this post on Dr Horowitz interesting but one of the links goes to his book and tehre are a few pages available to read on line well worth reading whatever the diagnosis http://lookingatlyme.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/infection-inflammation-immune.html

Another point to make is regarding testing and this post is well worth noting http://lookingatlyme.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/tick-borne-diseases-does-your-doctor.html

Best wishes Joanne

blueharper14
    Participant

Wow, thanks so much for the links. I will be sure to visit them.

I will begin checking up on Lyme Disease. She never had a bite that we were aware of. We hadn’t been hiking or traveling anywhere woodsy. We do however, live in Illinois and this all began in the beginning of June.

The other thing is that she had strep three times in 2011-2012 with her last being the fall of 2012. I was also thinking I might check into seeing if it is possible that strep bacteria may have played a role in the emergence of her pain. Maybe that is too long of a time before all her troubles, I am not sure.

This is a work in progress . . .

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Hi Blueharper:

I am sorry for what you are going through and can honestly say “I’ve been there”.

I don’t have any input on what might be giving your daughter those new symptoms. But from reading your post I just want to say “good job mom!” You will find what is needed to solve this problem and get your daughter back to health.

My daughter had those symptoms before she started Minocin but they were common symptoms for her diagnosis (systemic scleroderma). She was 15 when her first symptoms started, 16 when things got really bad (that was in 2006). I know it is a lot to take in, but this forum is very helpful in pointing you to various opportunities outside of antibiotic protocol that you can then research and determine if it resonates with you to address your daughter’s issues.

Warm regards,

Cheryl

blueharper14
    Participant

Thank you, Cheryl, for your words of encouragement. Is your daughter doing well now?

When you are sitting in a pool of confusion and feeling glum as I am to see her going through this, you just need a helping hand. I have found that on this forum and am so very grateful!

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Trust me I KNOW that pool of confusion! To tell you the truth, after my daughter recovered, I ended up with some health issues that I am certain were the result of stress, a type of motherly PTSD if you will. So through this, I highly recommend that you don’t neglect your own health and well being.

My daughter is better, she still has a bit of Raynaud’s that she struggles with, but it is more of a nuisance in her very busy, active, and (I hope) productive life.

~Cheryl

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Blue–
    Mouth sores, joint pain, green tea and vitamin D popped out at me while reading your post and the bottom section. I am homozygous for the MTHFR 1298 mutation (run a search for MTHFR on the general discussion page for info) so am very attuned to folate deficiency symptoms. Folate deficiency can cause mouth sores and joint pain. Green tea depletes the body up to 40% of folate http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18551467. This may be the cause of some of her joint pain.

For the longest time I ate foods high in folate to counter my mutation, since most supplements didn’t agree with me. It was helpful, but not enough so I recently went on a supplement called Homocysteine Factors by Pure Encapsulations (no fillers). For me its like taking a pain med :).

When I supplemented with Vitamin D my pain increased and my doctor and I found that although I was low in D as per the blood work, I was toxic in my tissues. I also have Lyme and I posted awhile back what may be the reason for my toxicity:
    https://www.roadback.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9557&hilit=.

Hope some of this might be of help.

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

blueharper14
    Participant

Thanks, Trudi, that is helpful, I will be checking into both links. It is so nice to have the help of others.

Much gratitude!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.