Home Forums General Discussion swelling & very concerned

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    lyndsaylee
    Participant

@2011Rio wrote:

Hi Lindsaylee,

I just switched to Meloxicam. I was on Naproxen before that. Any suggestions?

Thank You

I almost feel like a rat telling you that because right after I posted that to you I read John (Dragonslayer)’s “Long Boring Story” – which isn’t boring at all – he bemoans the use of them (NSAIDS). I must admit I have always wondered if they do more harm than good. At any rate, I’ve been taking Etodolac for about 7 years now and would like to get off it. It does usually do the trick for me however, in terms of reducing inflammation and pain. Etodolac is a cox-2 inhibitor which is easier on the stomach. Here’s a quote from a publication called InflammoPharmacology regarding it: Studies have shown etodolac to have no overall suppression of gastric or duodenal prostaglandins and endoscopic analysis with etodolac showed placebo level scores in comparison with ibuprofen, which showed inducement of gastro-intestinal (GI) side effects. This high degree of gastric tolerability was further demonstrated by microbleeding studies. The favourable GI tolerability profile of etodolac has been shown in long-term and large-scale trials and by routine clinical observation. In summary, etodolac is a well established selective COX-2 inhibitor that has been shown not to suppress gastric or duodenal prostaglandins, to have minimal hepatic or renal effects and to have favourable GI tolerability in comparison with ibuprofen.

Though this is a favorable overview, Etodolac, like all NSAIDS can still be dangerous. (You ought to see the warning sheet that comes with it!)

All that to say, before taking any medicine, it’s wise to do some research and give careful consideration and prayer beforehand. It’s a difficult call…

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.