Home Forums General Discussion Swelling in hands

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lorene
    Participant

My diagnosis is inflammatory RA and I have been on minocycline now for about 10 weeks 100mg per day. I was doing fairly well last week but this week my hands and ankles are swelling more. How long does it take for the minocycline to work? I am not in any pain and wondering if I just need to be patient.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

You are in the classic time frame for the Jarisch Herxheimer effect (“herx”) to kick in. The best thing you can do for yourself is to read up on this (plenty of info on the main RBF site, in The New Arthritis Breakthrough and in the FAQ’s at rheumatic.org). Your dose and daily schedule is often found very high for a starting dose in inflammatory forms of arthritis. If you use the search function at top of front page of General Discussion (where topics listed), there’s plenty of past discussion on this subject and links to info. Just type in a few key words, such as ‘daily dosing’ etc

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lorene
    Participant

Thanks, Lynnie! It was so sweet of you to reply. I am new to this and sincerely appreciate The Road Back Foundation. I am really trying to be patient and let the minocycline work. I have adjusted my diet to be gluten free, very low dairy and very low sugar. My energy level is fine. Thanks again and have a very Blessed day! 🙂

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi Lynne and lorene.
    I started last week 100mg 2x day. (am/pm) With no reaction.. none except for mild hand swelling. . Two. .. questions. It’s too soon or I might have undiagnosed SD. I read sunny post that it took months to see a reaction.

Thxs Bonnie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.