Home Forums General Discussion Supplements

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Jenn –

I agree that eating healthy and getting your vitamins and minerals that way is definitely the way to go.  I need to seriously work on that part of my diet.  I'll admit I'm terrible at trying new healthy foods.  I don't think I could handle the Chlorella!  I'm really interested in reading the book you mentioned, “In Defense of Food”.  The amount of vitamins and other supplements they have on the shelves of our stores is just mind boggling!  It's even worse to think that instead of helping you they may be causing great harm… and they're right there over the counter!

Thanks for your input, and I'll definitely check on that book.

Lori

Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Steph, Robin and Sierra,

I agree on cutting back on the essential vitamins.  I'm thinking multi vitamin, fish oil, msm, vit C, Vit E and my probiotics.  I'll see how I feel with just those.  I'm sold on the fish oil too…it just has so many benefits.   Steph I was like you and freaked out too thinking all these vitamins would make me better.  Sierra, I agree on the A&D.  I'm gonna stop taking that.  As far as the Iron, that was prescribed by my Dr. because my Iron was always low.. in the 11 range. But I honestly could probably do without it.  I'll ask on my next visit.

Thanks to ALL of you that have replied to my message.  This is such a wonderful group of people! 

Hugs,

Lori

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

At my recent visit to AP Doc and the Naturopath she works in concert with, I was told that supplements are body-specific.  Some can even be harmful, some are expensive urine and some are good – and it all depends on the specific condition you have and on your body. Alot of what I'm taking encompasses what I've read is good for leaky gut which my doc says everyone with chronic disease has.
    The naturopath tested me with all of them – and they all turned out fine, she just advised half the amount of l-glutamine that I was taking (so 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon a day). Doc also advised me to take supplements on the OFF days only – i.e. when not taking abx. My particular supplements are:
    ACE combined, mega B, 2 fish oil caps, probiotics, caltrate, 500mg Vit C, Milk Thistle – plus I take bio-identical progesterone cream 4% (which tested brilliantly for me).
    My ten cents worth would be to look at supplements for leaky gut, which should suit most and then fine tune others according to age, diagnosis, diet and, hopefully, some help from a professional.    

pan.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

suera
    Participant

hi lori,

i wish i new if it was a herx or not. today is my 4th week off mtx and really starting to wonder if this was a wise thing to do, pain/stiffness in places that haven't given me trouble in awhile neck, elbows,toes….and the weather is so nice i would like to get out there and do some yardwork, but that is not going to happen today:doh:.

glad good things are happening to you!

sue

JBJBJB
    Participant

Lori,

One of my friends suggested me check this out. http://www.lef.org/  It's Life Extension Fundation. They have professional consultants and also they sell good quality supplements. I believe annual membership fee is $75. 

Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Lynnie – Thanks so much for the great advice.  My specific area of concern is also the leaky gut.  Here in South Dakota I don't even know of a natural doc.  I'll have to do some checking.   What is l-glutamine and ACE combined?  Also what is bio-identical progesterone cream? (sorry I have so much to learn!)

I take my minocycline 7 days a week so I don't know about the every other day supplementation.

Have a great day!

Lori

Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

JB,

I looked at the site and added it to my favorites.  Thank you for the link!

Lori

JBJBJB
    Participant

Lori,

My friend, who is a professor, has all kind of cancers, like colon cancer, liver cancer, and some where else I cannot remember. He has been pretty healthy for 9 years. He never has any chemo therapy, except a few surgeries. He follows  http://www.lef.org/ advice for all these years and has been doing well.

I will share some of his insight about supplements.

[align=left]What follows is what I have learned from my research of the literature and conversations with health practitioners in[/align]
    [align=left]overcoming several health challenges. I am a walking testimony that you can proactively take charge of your health.[/align]
    [align=left]This article focuses on hydration and nutrition, but I believe health is holistic: mind, body, and spirit. My view, my[/align]
    [align=left]opinion; but it has worked for me and for many others that I personally know. I would encourage to do your own[/align]
    [align=left]research and ask your health practitioners questions. It is also important that they are expert in the area you need[/align]
    [align=left]answers too. If I had a heart problem, I wouldn?t go to a proctologist to get answers. Or if you have nutritional[/align]
    [align=left]questions, I would seek out health practitioners that are knowledgeable and actually ?practice? good nutrition.[/align]
    [align=left]1.
    Basic essential vital nutritionals must be natural, non-animal based, and food matrix based.[/align]
    [align=left]We must supplement ? we cannot eat enough to supply our bodies with the micro nutrients needed to[/align]
    [align=left]sustain good health due to corporate farming practices and green harvesting of crops, plus the herbicides[/align]
    [align=left]and pesticides now used. Supplementation is now recommended by the AMA and the federal government[/align]
    [align=left]Studies looking at the vitamin, mineral, and trace elements of produce indicate a loss of produce nutrition.[/align]
    [align=left]One study indicates a loss of 25% in the past 17 years.[/align]
    [align=left]Supplements must be food-matrix based (not synthetic nor the synthetic binders) and must have the seal of[/align]

[align=left]Good Manufacturing Practices
    (GMP) to ensure that what is on the label is accurate and actually contains[/align]
    [align=left]what the label states. Most labels are not accurate ? FDA testing has indicated as much as 7% to 700%[/align]
    [align=left]mislabeling. Some were found to be missing main ingredients like antioxidants in green tea; some were[/align]
    [align=left]reported to actually create free radicals rather than antioxidants. GMP ensures accuracy.[/align]
    [align=left]I have several direct sources for my nutritionals. All are major research, development, and GMP[/align]
    [align=left]manufacturers. I now rarely purchase nutritionals from health food stores.[/align]
    [align=left]My basic nutritionals (others as needed on case-by-case basis):[/align]

[align=left]?
    26 vitamins, minerals, and trace elements for cell nourishment[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Anti-oxidant for cell protection and elimination of free radicals that can cause DNA cell damage.[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Phytochemicals for the endocrine system and the precursor for your hormone production[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Omega 3 (fish oil) and if you are already healthy (flax oil or flax seed) as well. Take oil with your[/align]
    [align=left]vitamins; certain vitamins require fat or oil to be efficaciously absorbed into the cells. Be careful[/align]
    [align=left]to select a GMP manufacturer who filters out mercury, etc. Look for ?
    Molecularly distilled“[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Enzymes with every meal and double with heavy meals. Produce is significantly reduced in[/align]
    [align=left]enzyme content today. Enzyme supplements are needed in the digestive process. Even the[/align]
    [align=left]programming of your DNA in your cells is an enzymatic activity. You need them. Enzymes[/align]
    [align=left]between meals is also recommended as beneficial.[/align]

[align=left]?
    8 essential glyconutrients that form the cell-to-cell communication in your approximately 60[/align]
    [align=left]trillion cells. Demonstrated to substantially increase stem cell production and positively impact 8[/align]
    [align=left]of 10 biological age markers.[/align]
    [align=left]There are a few diets recognized for promoting a healthy life that I am aware of:
    The Macrobiotic Diet, The[/align]
    [align=left]Mediterranean Diet
    , and The Maker?s Diet. The latest literature is pointing toward a low glycemic index as[/align]
    [align=left]the healthiest and the three preceding diets tend in that direction. The ?South Beach Diet? also has a low[/align]
    [align=left]glycemic approach. Google ?glycemic? for more information.[/align]
    [align=left]2. Do not smoke[/align]
    [align=left]3. Drink water ? your body needs water, that is, H
    2O. America is dehydrated![/align]
    [align=left]?
    How much should you drink? Take half your weight in pounds. That number of oz of water per[/align]
    [align=left]day. For example, (180 lb / 2) oz = 90 oz of water per day for a 180 lb person.[/align]
    [align=left]Do not significantly under or over hydrate.[/align]

[align=left]?
    Do not drink distilled or reverse osmosis water without supplementing with substantial minerals[/align]
    [align=left]else you will be robbing your body of minerals and bones of calcium.[/align]

[align=left]?
    City water tends to have chorine and fluoride ? controversial, I avoid or filter.[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Some water additives available to raise the PH level and reduce the ORP (good things) ? for[/align]
    [align=left]example, Dr. Willard?s Water (catalyst altered water). Breaks macro clusters into micro clusters[/align]
    [align=left]for better absorption into body (sometimes referred to as wetter water).[/align]

[align=left]?
    Water upon rising in morning to re-hydrate. Generally, drink half-hour before meals and 2.5 hours[/align]
    [align=left]after meals. Water at meal time or shortly after inhibits digestion due to higher PH.[/align]

[align=left]?
    Milk, juice, etc. do not count as water, they count as food. Remember WATER, not just fluids.[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Do NOT drink soft drinks. Mounting evidence of long-term, serious, debilitating health issues.[/align]
    [align=left]Aluminum containers are coming more into question as well. Aluminum is an active metal.[/align]

[align=left]?
    Rice Drink, Soy Drink, and Almond Drink are good alternatives to animal milk but watch the[/align]
    [align=left]carbohydrate levels if this is a concern. Depending upon your situation, Soy may or may not be a[/align]
    [align=left]good choice.
    Again, quality water is the drink of choice.[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Organic yogurts at health food stores instead of the dessert yogurts at your grocery store.[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Only cheeses that crumble like goat cheese and feta cheese.[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Some believe a little coffee is healthy for you.[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Juicing is better than store bought juices although time consuming. Note: it is the pulp that[/align]
    [align=left]contains the good stuff (orange pulp for vitamin C).[/align]
    [align=left]4. Avoid farm raised animals and their by-products (like milk, cheeses, yogurts, etc.). The issue is antibiotics[/align]
    [align=left]and estrogen hormones (to plump up animals for profit) ? major long term negative health effects. Farm[/align]
    [align=left]raised fish especially as it may also have trace elements of pesticides.[/align]
    [align=left]NO pork. Significantly limit or eliminate red meet. Buffalo is typically much leaner than beef and a good[/align]
    [align=left]alternative but still in moderation.[/align]
    [align=left]Alternatives:[/align]

[align=left]?
    Free range chicken, turkey, buffalo[/align]
    [align=left]?
    Deep water, line-caught fish such as salmon, cod, mackerel, etc. However this is becoming[/align]
    [align=left]controversial now. For example, toxins store in fat cells and salmon is a fatty fish.[/align]
    [align=left]If it is not listed as ?free-range? or ?wild?, then it is farm raised. Especially be cautious at restaurants ? be[/align]
    [align=left]bold, ask. If it is ?free-range? or ?wild?, restaurants usually state that in the menu. Stores are now labeling[/align]
    [align=left]their meats as ?farm raised? or ?free range? ? read the labels.[/align]

[align=left]Note: some literature suggests minimizing or eliminating meat from our diets ? plant proteins being more[/align]
    [align=left]bioavialable and preferable over animal proteins.[/align]

[align=left]5. Eat fresh fruits and fresh vegetables. The darker the colors, the better. Think of eating the rainbow of colors[/align]
    [align=left]each day: deep red = tomato, deep yellow = banana, etc.[/align]
    [align=left]Eat organic where possible. Organic means ?non toxic? hopefully; does not mean nutritious.[/align]
    [align=left]Rinse all fruit and vegetables with a veggie wash or your own mixture of water, lemon juice, and table salt.[/align]
    [align=left]Eat above and below ground vegetables. Blanching and cooking vegetables depletes their nutrition.[/align]
    [align=left]Cooking above 104 F

Jennhere
    Participant

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I don't think you need to buy Pollan's book.  Just read this article he wrote for the NY Times last year.  It says it all. 
    Jenn

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

“What is l-glutamine and ACE combined? Also what is bio-identical progesterone cream?”

Lori
    It's vitamin A, C and E in a combination tablet. Glutamine is in powder form and is an energy source for the cells of the digestive tract. Assists the immune system and the gut. Recommended by many for those with leaky gut. Bio-identical progesterone cream is a natural form of HRT. On prescription only (over the counter forms do not work). I have been taking for 5 years and have found it wonderful – many AP docs include as part of their treatment recommendation for women.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ Supplements’ is closed to new replies.