Home Forums General Discussion Supplements to take while on AP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RA_stressed
    Participant

Any info on supplements to take while on Ap would be helpful. Diagnosed May 2012 with RA. Planning to start AP next week.

Currently I take fish oil, a multivitamin with 1000 IU D, D3 seperately of 400 IU, Turmeric and ginger juice in the morning, Probiotic …
    Is magnesium also good to take along with the antibiotics?, and some have recommended a high dose of Vitamin C to help with the Herxing…..(Olive oil and lemon too?) There is just so much information, I would like your experience on what has worked without blocking the effects of AP and still managing the pain so that I can try to be successful at it.

Best

jaminhealth
    Participant

I would think mag is OK to take with antiobiotics…

I’ve been taking Grape Seed Extract for a long long time and it’s kept me healthy re: Immune System….I would think there
    is no harm in taking Grape Seed Ex with abx.

A pharmacist would be able to answer I would think so. Some friends, before they got on Grape Seed Ex consulted their
    pharamist and it was good to go….

Grape Seed Ex is my favorite of all suppelments to take and I take a lot…..I’m not on abx…

Probiotics for sure while on abx which I take daily anyway, digestive enzymes too and I take DGL (stomach lining tamer) for stomach protection…..all these I take for general good digestion and stomach protection. jam

RA_stressed
    Participant

Thank you, I will also check with the pharmacist

PhilC
    Participant

There are many supplements that are helpful, but there are two in particular that I want to focus your attention on: N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) and milk thistle extract. They help protect the liver, and are therefore particularly important for people taking multiple medications, especially ones that have the potential to cause liver damage.

I take 600 mg of NAC twice a day, which is double the dose that’s recommended on the label. Some people take twice that amount (i.e., 1200 mg, 2X/day).

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I would think mag is OK to take with antiobiotics

Not if you are taking one of the tetras. The tetracyclines (mino, doxy and tetracycline) are highly chelative, meaning they bind to minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron. So best to avoid any supps or foods containing these with a good couple hours window either side, as they will bind to the tetra in the gut and render them less effective.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

A Friend
    Participant

@jaminhealth wrote:

I would think mag is OK to take with antiobiotics…

A pharmacist would be able to answer I would think so. Some friends, before they got on Grape Seed Ex consulted their pharamist and it was good to go….
    ……..Probiotics for sure while on abx which I take daily anyway, digestive enzymes too and I take DGL (stomach lining tamer) for stomach protection…..all these I take for general good digestion and stomach protection. jam

Jam, All,
    Something I did a number of years ago was to get acquainted with a compounding pharmacist, who also knew about natural and pharmaceutical medicine. At that time, he was invited to be a guest speaker at a support group meeting (about fall of 1997). I had an amazing opportunity to get to know him better; and to this day, he is a trusted resource and friend. An amazing story follows.

At that meeting, after I had asked an ND who had a radio program if he could recommend a pharmacist to speak to our group, he had quickly given me the name of our speaker this night. Before the meeting began, he had gone around the room meeting and chatting with members. While he was speaking during his program, he mentioned the meds those in attendance said they took. At this point he said that all of the medications they said they were taking would sooner or later lose their effectiveness, and they would have to rotate to something else. As he finished his discussion, it was at this point that he reached in his leather case and pulled out a book, and said that the treatment in it was the only treatment he knew about that could actually be effective for the FM, CFS, and various Rheumatic diagnoses that members of our group had. He gave the book title, author. I was flabbergasted. It was the book I’d first read, and knew that was what I would do. It was the first book that Dr. B and Henry S. wrote together, “Arthritis Breakthrough”; Dr. Brown’s first book was titled, “The Road Back,” and is included in this one with H.S. Even though I had been to Iowa in January 1997 and after a rocky 3 to 4 months, things had been turning around, I knew I was on the right track. But, I chose not to discuss any of this with members until I knew how it worked, etc.

Can you imagine my amazement (and joy) at learning what a resource we had in this guest speaker! And to learn from him his positive educated opinion about it. So, if any of you can locate a compounding pharmacist, one knowledgeable of natural medicine [if they are learned in the German Pharmacopeia (sp?), that would be a good clue]. The Germans, I understand test both pharmaceutical medications and natural medicine, and doctors there are free to use whatever they feel is best for their patients. I’ve been hoping and praying that our country would follow their lead for many years. Instead, I see and read all too often that the FDA seems to be a partner with the Pharmaceutical companies, and in managing what will be accepted as treatment for all of the many diseases. (Much more on this subject, but I must restrain myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 🙄

Though I was the program chairman at that time (for several months), I had never discussed AP with him — nor with any of the group, as I needed/wanted to see my own results before bringing up the subject. I had become knowledgeable of Dr. Brown’s work after getting my diagnosis from my local physician and calling a bookstore for a book on RA (thought to be my diagnosis that day from lab test).

Learn everything you can, organize information you need to remember. It takes some time, before long you’ll have a feel for what you need to do. Good luck. You and your body are worth it!

AF

RA_stressed
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

There are many supplements that are helpful, but there are two in particular that I want to focus your attention on: N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) and milk thistle extract. They help protect the liver, and are therefore particularly important for people taking multiple medications, especially ones that have the potential to cause liver damage.

I take 600 mg of NAC twice a day, which is double the dose that’s recommended on the label. Some people take twice that amount (i.e., 1200 mg, 2X/day).

Phil

Thanks Phil, Iam definitely getting milk thistle and Nac

kwlile
    Participant

I was told by Dr. F to avoid calcium/magnesium, dairy and probiotics within 4 hours of taking mino.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.