Home Forums General Discussion Supplement regimen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    246bride
    Participant

Hi all,

I have searched for a supplement regimen on here and got several good ideas of what I would like to start taking. I’ve done some research etc. However, I just don’t know where to get everything. I would like to know the trusted brands or supplements you use. Also, I am 4 months post partum and starting to feel the RA come back. I have started minocin at 50mg a day. Is this a good way to start or is it better to do 100mg every other day? Trying to balance it with not getting yeast infections.

Thanks!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi 246bride
    Sorry to hear that your RA symptoms are returning but it’s not unusual for them to abate during pregnancy and then come back when the hormone levels (esp progesterone) go back down to normal levels.

In terms of treatment, you will need to find another class of abx to take if you are breastfeeding, as any of the tetracyclines (which include mino and doxy) could adversely affect your baby’s developing teeth and bones. Are you consulting an AP Doc for your treatment? You may need the help of someone experienced during this time.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Anonymous
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

In terms of treatment, you will need to find another class of abx to take if you are breastfeeding,

I’m interested in the answer to that, my wife and I plan to have children and somehow “hope” we’ll be able to if she goes into remission while being pregnant… but what if she doesn’t?

Maz
    Keymaster

@aoshi_xken wrote:

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

In terms of treatment, you will need to find another class of abx to take if you are breastfeeding,

I’m interested in the answer to that, my wife and I plan to have children and somehow “hope” we’ll be able to if she goes into remission while being pregnant… but what if she doesn’t?

Hi Aoshi,

Here is a link to the different classes of abx that are safe to take during pregnancy on the Mayo Clinic website:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics-and-pregnancy/AN01145

Deciding which class of abx is dependent upon the organisms involved in the rheumatoid disease. E.g. Brown used erythromycins and clindamycin when tetras could not be used (see Scammell book) in the treatment of mycoplasma infections.

It’s not a good idea to assume that pregnancy-induced remission will be long-lasting, post-partum, or that offending organisms have miraculously disappeared. On the contrary, they are likely enjoying a period of respite from immune system attack and re-grouping due to the high levels of immune-suppression afforded by pregnancy hormones. Once the baby is born and hormones drop precipitously, it doesn’t take long for a post-partum flare to erupt, sadly making it very difficult for the new mother to care for herself or her new baby.

Hormones, such as progesterone and estrogen (found in high levels in pregnancy), are steroidal in nature and there are several hormones that are likely implicated in causing this immune-suppression, nature’s way of protecting the baby from maternal rejection. In the Henry Scammell book, Dr. Brown says the following regarding pregnancy….the discussion is in light of the use of cortisone and how it works (Page 269 – 2nd paragraph):

“In that connection, it has been well established that when a medicine blocks a reaction, as cortisone does, and then is stopped, the result is an explosion. When a woman goes into remission during pregnancy, it is because the body is producing extra amounts of natural cortisone to block the arthritis, and when the baby is born the mother suffers a terrible rebound flare. It is particularly difficult for an arthritic mother to have to go through this painful experience right at the time she is trying to take care of her new baby. For that reason, we often hold off on anti-inflammatory medication during the period of pregnancy, but as soon as the mother is delivered, we give it to her right away in order to avoid that flare.

Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), is another important hormone during pregnancy that stimulates progesterone, but also repels the mother’s immune cells and so is likely involved in the immune-suppression experienced during pregnancy (and also likely why it is implicated in cancer and used as a tumor marker).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hcg

(There is a diet, called the HcG diet, and the cancer connection to this hormone is one reason I have to wonder about the safety of this diet).

As Lynnie already mentioned, it’s a good idea to look into other classes of abx to be started well before attempting pregnancy. If Lyme disease and it’s coinfections are suspected, it’s a good idea to get this thoroughly checked out prior to getting pregnant as there is now evidence of maternal transmission of babesiosis and, similar to syphilis, Lyme has long been suspected as being a risk to the fetus.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120706/NEWS02/307060050/Tick-secret-revealed-Westchester-researchers-first-prove-baby-got-babesiosis-before-birth?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

There are a few ladies here who have had successful pregnancies and births here over the years. It’s just wise to get informed prior and to take every precaution possible to avert the potential of a post-partum flare. Working with an experienced AP doctor or LLMD can really help in this regard. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.