Home Forums General Discussion (Super) Honey for Biofilms and Antibiotic resistance

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Suzy
    Participant

This is good research on the properties of honey. The biofilms mentioned are particularly important to so many here. All the more reason to use it. This sparked my interest because I am soon to receive a bounty of fresh Organic Blueberry Honey from the bees that have been pollinating our blueberry farm. This article also states some honey is more power packed in it’s properties than others, depending on the source. So, I figured since blueberries are considered a superfood, then my honey must be

SUPERHONEY 😀

I can’t wait to taste it. It’s the first year we will be getting this honey. We’ve partnered with a local apiarist for pollination of our crop and this is the wonderful result of that along with a bumper crop of blueberries ! Yum

Check out my Avatar picture it’s one of our BUSY BEES in action. My camera did an awesome job on this close-up shot.
    ……..Nature and technology is truly amazing right??

“The unique property of honey lies in its ability to fight infection on multiple levels, making it more difficult for bacteria to develop resistance,” said study leader Susan M. Meschwitz, Ph.D. That is, it uses a combination of weapons, including hydrogen peroxide, acidity, osmotic effect, high sugar concentration and polyphenols – all of which actively kill bacterial cells, she explained. The osmotic effect, which is the result of the high sugar concentration in honey, draws water from the bacterial cells, dehydrating and killing them.

In addition, several studies have shown that honey inhibits the formation of biofilms, or communities of slimy disease-causing bacteria, she said. “Honey may also disrupt quorum sensing, which weakens bacterial virulence, rendering the bacteria more susceptible to conventional antibiotics,” Meschwitz said. Quorum sensing is the way bacteria communicate with one another, and may be involved in the formation of biofilms. In certain bacteria, this communication system also controls the release of toxins, which affects the bacteria’s pathogenicity, or their ability to cause disease.

I think we have mostly known this info about honey, but it is nice to see more confirmation of the healthy properties of honey.

….. Suzy

Trudi
    Participant

@Suzy wrote:

My camera did an awesome job on this close-up shot.

Hi Suzy–
    It sure did!!

Can’t wait to hear how your honey tastes. We get honey from a neighbor up north; I use it in my tea every day. Very good.

Thanks for the information,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Suzy
    Participant

Thanks Trudi… I too use honey everyday. I can’t wait to taste this honey…..I will let you know. I can almost taste that bowl of organic oatmeal sprinkled with fresh blueberries and drizzled with Blueberry Honey.

Eat Well…..Suzy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.