Home Forums General Discussion still itching day 8

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    A Friend
    Participant

[user=1429]PhilC[/user] wrote:

Hi Julie,

………………Another possibility is that you have a build up of toxins that your body is having trouble getting rid of. What happens is that the liver tries to get rid the toxins by dumping them into the duodenum with the bile. The problem is that they then get reabsorbed in the GI tract and end up back in the blood. The process is called enterohepatic recirculation. It's the same process that causes some drugs to have a longer half-life. The solution to this problem is to take something that will bind the toxins and prevent them from being reabsorbed. One of the substances used for this purpose is activated charcoal.

Here is some information that may be helpful:

Activated charcoal absorbs fat-soluble porphyrins. Treatment with oral activated charcoal, which itself is nonabsorbable, binds these porphyrins in the gastrointestinal tract and hence prevents them from being reabsorbed in the small intestine. Start with 2 grams (eight 250 mg capsules) of activated charcoal taken three times per day on an empty stomach (i.e., 2 hours after and 2 hours before a meal). Gradually increase this to 4 grams taken three times per day. Much more activated charcoal can be safely taken; up to 20 grams six time a day for nine months has been taken without any adverse side effects. It is important that this charcoal be taken on a completely empty stomach without any food, vitamins, or medications taken within 2 hours before or 2 hours after charcoal ingestion as the charcoal may absorb the food, vitamins, or drugs as well as the porphyrins.

I found that information on this page:
    http://www.cpnhelp.org/secondaryporphyria

Since activated charcoal is an effective treatment for at least one type of pruritus (itching), it seems like it would be worth trying.

Phil

Phil, I like the way your mind is working.  The above binding suggestion is similar to what Dr. R. Shoemaker (outstanding doctor/scientist) found helpful for his patients who had chronic neurotoxins, except he prescribed an older RX drug (cholestryamine) which can also have some potential mean side effects. 

In other reading about binding toxins, I've read recently about your charcoal recommendation above as being good for binding toxins, as well as using the crushed whole psyllium and not just the husks, because it not only was a good binding fiber, but has something like mucilage in the whole thing  that actually sweeps the lining of the gastro system,  loosens a lot of unfriendly organisms (yeasts, etc.) embedded in the walls, and binds them as it works its way down before being excreted.  In addition to psyllium, it also mentioned bentonite and ground flaxseed, stating that all three of them were good for binding toxins to force them out of the body, plus the flaxseed is also a source of  (essential fatty acids) EFA's. 

A routine search found this additional interesting combination product.  I know nothing about it, except it was interesting reading:  http://www.metacleanse.com/buy-colon-cleanse.html

Phil, it's so good to have you and the many other knowledgeable people on the board.  It can take years for patients to learn about such as this if we are on our own. 

Best,
    AF

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ still itching day 8’ is closed to new replies.