Home Forums General Discussion Statins May Ease Scleroderma

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Randy
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I just came back from my (now) annual visit to Mayo-Scottsdale’s SD expert, Dr. G. He is delighted with how well I am doing and my skin score is now 3. It was a 34 in June ’08, and I hear Dr. G doesn’t score anyone over 40. Additionally, he stated that since I am approaching my 5 year milestone with SD, my lung and kidney risks are very minimal now (though I will continue to be at risk for PAH). So, some very encouraging news for you newbie

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

cavalier
    Participant

Randy – congrats on the 5 yr mark & the huge improvement in your skin.
    best – Jill Systemic SD & Sarcoidosis

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Randy – great to hear from you and with such good news at your 5 year mark. Thank you for stopping by……… and for sharing this research

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Randy,

This study is kind of interesting, because minocycline is a known angiogenesis inhibitor (discovered to occur initially by dentists):

http://www.angio.org/news/old-antibiotic-reduces-the-growth-of-harmful-blood-vessels-following-stroke.html

“The drug, minocycline, which is known to be an angiogenesis inhibitor, appears to reduce the formation of leaky, twisted blood vessels…”

It’s the growth of harmful, leaky blood vessels that seem to cause problems in many diseases, including SD. If anything, this study should provide further evidence that minocycline, long known to have this modulatory effect, is doing a job in a safe, effective way….and, in generic forms is a lot cheaper than statins. 😉 A helpful argument for anyone whose rheumy may be negative about the use of minocycline for scleroderma.

I wanted to know a bit more about the angiogenesis effects of statins and, upon doing a little searching, it seems they have may have some beneficial effects on anti-angiogenesis in higher doses, but lower doses may actually worsen things:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/719474_3

“Of interest, a third group of experiments tested the effect of statins on angiogenesis at different concentrations and found that statins have a biphasic dose-dependent effect on angiogenesis characterized by a proangiogenic effect at low doses and antiangiogenic and proapoptotic effect at high doses.[35

enzed
    Participant

Ten years ago I was prescribed statins for cholesterol and suffered extreme and painful muscle damage from them. It took a long time, at least a year, to reverse the damage. I have scleroderma and will never take statins again.

richie
    Participant

Hi Randy –Sounds like a super check-up –thats great –I have been taking statins for at least 15–20 years now even before I got SD –because of high cholesterol readings —my cholesterol readings are excellent and I do guess somewhere along the line it contributed to my success with treating scleroderma —
    richie

A Friend
    Participant

Hi Randy! And like everyone else who arrived here before me, I’m thrilled that you are doing so well!

Also to Randy and everyone…. when I first signed in, I saw the topic of Randy’s post in the list. Ironically, I was coming to the Board to share information on a subject that has captured my own interest and needs over the past year, and specifically to post links to studies just found this morning. Also, ironically, it has outstanding information/studies on effects of amino acids on cholesterol and much more.

I copied a number of the links before I came here just now, so I’ve decided to paste them here now. I do plan to also put this information in a separate link. My strong belief for many years now is that “no information is ever wasted” … whether it is to rule in or to rule out its benefits. Again, Randy, so happy about your good report and progress!

Amino Acids

PhilC
    Participant
    A Friend
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Some other things to consider:

Statins and increased cancer risk

“Once and for all, scant statin benefits DO NOT outweigh the considerable risks”

Phil

PhilC,
    Thanks for the links and especially for the site. Your posts are always read and appreciated.

Two of my dearest family members have been on statins for quite a long time. During this time, I’ve constantly read about the hazards. I don’t want the responsibility of anyone’s health decisions, so my “method of operation” is to share information on a subject (at least once… in the form of a link/paper for them to read). The rest is up to them.

I confess I sometimes almost have to put duct-tape over my mouth. I read one time, in early years studying about chronic illness, that so many patients wait until they have been ill for years and years and on questionable medications, and THEN decide to see a holistic physician, etc. Because they are so debilitated, they sometimes get worse (before they get better?) …. and THEN… many blame it on the changes in treatment choices. So one of the most hazardous things to the health of holistic healthcare people and FAMILY members is to give advice. You get my drift…. as to why I resist sharing any more than information or what my own experiences have been.

Thanks again,
    AF

rebeccaavazian
    Participant

Hi Randy,

Glad to hear your still doing so well!

Rebecca Avazian

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.