Home Forums General Discussion sore throat part of the RA?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Patti D
    Participant

Hi all ,
    Just checking in to see if anyone has ever had a sore joint at the jaw and ear as well as horribly sore throat? Just wondering if this is part of the RA or something in addition that I should see the GP for? 🙄 What next.

sandrabonfield
    Participant

When I have a flare up I nearly always get it in my jaw as well. My flare up sometimes can begin with the worst sore throat, it is horrible pain, then I get the usual hands feet shoulders etc and my Jaw and my eyes. Hope you feel better soon

Patti D
    Participant

Thanks Sandra.
    Of course it’s RA related 😈 Lets hope things start disappearing like they came on board.
    peace!

Woods1977
    Participant

Hi Patti D,

I also get the sore throat; It

vinny
    Participant

Patti,
    I had very serious facial swelling on the right side of my face. Blood work ruled out an infection and I was given a Prednisone dose pack which stopped the swelling. I thought it might be PsA in my TM joint, however a couple of days later I had very obvious oral thrush. Once I started being treated for yeast overgrowth I found that I had serious swelling of my gums and the swelling of my cheek was from a yeast infection in an ulcer in my mouth. I am on Methotrexate which sometimes causes mouth ulcers. I need a stronger anti-yeast program. I have been using Minocycline since 2008 and Prednisone form time to time.
    vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I’ve had a bad sore throat. May be part of the change of seasons.

Anonymous
    Participant

I have a sore throat when I am not careful with my probiotics or when ABX are too much. Even when I swallow something it feels sore and burning. I am still investigating if my joints are worse at such time, but it is possible.
    Linda L.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Linda – have you been tested for strep titres?

See this thread (and others if you type ‘strep’ into search box)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10753&p=74309&hilit=strep#p74309

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Anonymous
    Participant

Lynnie,
    No, I have not been tested for that. Is it a blood test?
    Linda L.

Grannieannie
    Participant

RA sufferer since 2000. Taking a Orencia at the moment, after 5 yrs on Enbrel and Methotrexate, which suddenly stopped working and cause vomiting/nausea. Funny you should mention sore throat. I carried a 6 mth on/off sore throat, including the typical white spots associated with strep. Here for a week+ then mysteriously gone only to come back again and again. Finally went to dr who did the strep test (-) hut tested me for RA, came back severe/moderate. Throat has been ok except for colds and such since then….however,mi just went a bad bout of pneumonia and am on a flare up from HADES! For a month!! To top that, today I woke with my throat, neck,and jaw inflamed. I’m pretty sure it has to do with the RA, at least for me. Good luck. My husband is convinced i have Lyme but my rheum Dr. Seems to not think so. Although I DID have the tick bite with the bullseye in1998. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to try the tetracycline because of the permanent blue color change to the legs. My RA Dr. Told me about this happening to one of his patients. ANY thoughts?

Maz
    Keymaster

@Grannieannie wrote:

My husband is convinced i have Lyme but my rheum Dr. Seems to not think so. Although I DID have the tick bite with the bullseye in1998. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to try the tetracycline because of the permanent blue color change to the legs. My RA Dr. Told me about this happening to one of his patients. ANY thoughts?

Hi Grannieannie,

Your husband is correct. If you had a known tick bite that resulted in a bulls-eye (with/without positive tests), then you have had Lyme disease and, if untreated or inappropriately treated shortly after infection, then it’s likely you were left with chronic, late stage Lyme disease all these years. Even the IDSA states that a bulls-eye is definitive for Lyme, so how your rheumy can say you didn’t have Lyme, with such conviction, is a real mystery. Ticks pass a number of other infections in addition to Lyme disease, too, so these would also need to be assessed and separately treated.

The blue/gray hyperpigmentation can happen with minocycline, but does not occur for everyone, and taking daily Vit C can help to avert this occuring. The untreated Lyme and associated tick-borne infections are probably the more critical concern, because Lyme LOVES immune suppression, causing proliferation of the infection (probably also accounts for why the immunosuppressants are no longer working for you), and the TMJ-like pain you’re describing is a very common symptom. I also have the RA/Lyme mix and in the early days, as well as my first year of treatment, I had times when the pain was so intense in my jaw that I couldn’t open my mouth to eat or speak. The jaw is a joint, too, but Lyme also loves the nerves and this symptom may be due to irritation of facial and cranial nerves.

If you decide to make a visit to a Lyme Literate MD (LLMD), then RBF does have listings by state. Unfortunately, a rheumy (unless Lyme Literate) is not the best choice of doc to see for tick-borne infections as, unfortunately, seems to have been your experience. A bulls-eye = Lyme. 😉

Anonymous
    Participant

Maz,
    About 8 years ago I woke up one day with a very sore and stiff jaw. I could open my mouth just a little and I couldn’t eat for weeks. The doctors tried to open it by force /it sounds funny today, but it was a terrible experience/ Then the third clever doctor told me to let it rest and everyday it was better. Is something like that a symptom of Lyme? I have RA. I don’t remember a tick bite.
    Linda L.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.