Home Forums General Discussion sjorgren’s disease

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Has anyone been treated with antiobiotic therapy for Sjorgren’s Disease? I have a positive ANA and increasingly dry/inflammatory eye problem. My regular doc is suspicious it may be Sjorgren’s Disease. I go next week to the rheumatologist for more tests and would like to go armed with any info possible regarding past successful treatment using antibiotics. I am in Kansas City, also, and would like to know if any of you have a doc in the region which treats with antibiotics.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Liz – just noticed that there were no replies to your post. However sjogrens has been discussed alot on the forum. Try typing in ‘sjogrens’ into the box at top of General Discussion area (with one “r” and try without apostrophe) and alot of past discussion will come up

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

matv
    Participant

I know antibiotics, especially minocycline was a major treatment of choice for many eye doctors when it came to sjogrens. There’s some documentation out there that proves it.

jaminhealth
    Participant

You could do a search for: Grape Seed Extract and Sjorgrens

Grape Seed seems to help SO MUCH. I’ve been taking Grape Seed almost 17 yrs…jam

Krys
    Participant

@lizchurch wrote:

….I am in Kansas City, also, and would like to know if any of you have a doc in the region which treats with antibiotics.

The first page of General Discussion has a sticky tread on top “Information on Requesting a listing of AP doctors”.

Has anyone been treated with antiobiotic therapy for Sjorgren’s Disease?

I can’t answer about abx for Sjogren’s. I’ve been taking plenty for Lyme and as my Sjogren’s symptoms were mild at the onset of Lyme, they were not specifically addressed.
    After taking potent steroidal drops for eye inflammation a few months ago, all the symptoms became fully blown. It seems like a systemic manifestation now. Drinking water does not relieve dryness in the throat…But I’ve noticed that certain foods make it much worse: the eyes become red, burning and scratchy, the throat parched …and the list goes on.
    I hope you find some good information while searching the Forum.

I think this link may be of interest to you (no abx mentioned, but lots of other useful info):
    http://reasonablywell-julia.blogspot.com/2009/02/gastrointestinal-effects-of-sjogrens.html
    You’ll see lots of links on the right hand side.
    I only read a couple and had an aha moment: people with Sjogren’s have an elevated prolactin level and that was one very weird test result I had almost 30 years ago! I accidentally became a participant in a research conducted on prolactin and while my starting level was high normal, the response to a medication given to see how the prolactin behaves in the body showed it increased to 480 (32 is upper normal, 34 is pathological). The second highest was about 82.
    Sorry if it sounds like rambling and maybe does not relate to you. I’m all excited because due to the above mentioned blog, I may have just found the main culprit of my problems. Interestingly I had 2 bullseye rashes as a kid (bullseye = infection with Lyme disease) and since then had problems with all mucus membranes within my body. So I would say my elevated prolactin level in the past (have to check the present one) and autoimmune problems are all due to Lyme!!!

The quote below (taken from the blog, link above) from a study published in 2007 from Wolfson Medical Center, Israel, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17854745 exploring the relationship between elevated prolactin levels and autoimmune disease:

The autoimmune diseases are more common in females. The sex hormones have an important role in this gender bias, mainly estrogen and prolactin (PRL) which modulate the immune response. PRL is secreted from the pituitary gland and other organs and cells mainly the lymphocytes. PRL has an immunostimulatory effect and promotes autoimmunity. (HPRL) is observed in multi-organ and organ specific autoimmune diseases like systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), Sjogren’s syndrome (SS), Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (HT), and Multiple Sclerosis (MS). There is no consistant correlation between PRL level and disease activity.

May AP and all other solutions bring your health back,
    Krys

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.