Home Forums General Discussion Sign of the Times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    notabene
    Participant

Twice in the past year, one of my favorite food magazines has talked about autoimmune diseases.

First was an April 2011 article on vitamin D (with tasty recipes of course). It stated that “Studies suggest that it’s key to fighting bone loss, hypertension, and autoimmune diseases.”

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2011/03/vitamin-d.html

This month featured a story of how a chef has used parsley in his cooking, in part to fight his rheumatoid arthritis.

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2012/03/ways-to-add-parsley-to-meal.html

I would never have expected to see something like this, and I wonder whether autoimmune diseases are becoming more common, or whether diagnostics are better at detecting. Perhaps someone at the magazine has an autoimmune disease, so there is greater awareness. Perhaps all three.

matv
    Participant

I wonder how many are actually diagnosed. How many are ignored, and how many have symptoms due to other controversial causes such as lyme. It truly is an epidemic, and doctors don’t know how to treat it, without destroying or surpressing the immune system. When my doctor said I was autoimmune my heart sank. He asked me why I looked so daunt. I didn’t tell him why, but I did think, “because just like that I’ve been thrust into one of the most problematic fields of medicine, the most controversial fields.”

Anyways, these are awesome articles and its reassuring me that im making the right choice keeping my D3 up. Thanks for posting!

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Interesting articles.

Marybeth
    Participant

I subscribe to Bon Appetit and tried the parsley smoothie and vinaigrette. Both are very good and worth it. Although the bean salad would not be considered for RA patients because beans are considered to have too many lectins. I believe the chef, Mullen, takes DMARDS. He was featured in some other article many months ago and was on “The Next Iron Chef”.

But, hey, every effort to get the word out is worthwhile! Whatever it takes!

jaminhealth
    Participant

One has a lot better chance of being tested for “deficiencies” from an integrative doc. These are the only ones I trust anymore for my general health.

Deficiencies are great, The D issue has been of great magnitude…

Thank goodness for the “holistic” docs and we have to do our own work too.

Perhaps we’ve been deficient for a LONG TIME and finally with the emergence of alternative medicine, more and more
    info is coming to the forefront. I’ve been in alternative med for 20 yrs, so it’s been at least 20 yrs since the flood
    of alternative healers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.