Home Forums General Discussion Side effects of doxy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sissy1smf
    Participant

Has anyone had any experience with having any strange side effects from long term use of doxycycline? I have been suffering for about 6 weeks with a number of strange symptoms mostly related to “nerve pain”–also stinging feeling on my skin, (where the blankets in bed hurt when they touch me) increased muscle aches and pains, and just general overall feeling of “not feeling good”! The rheumy said maybe a touch of some fibro going on (which I have never had!) Also scalp pain, when just touching or moving my hair. I just started wondering if it was possible that the doxy was doing some weird stuff to me after all this time being on it. I have been on it about 3 year or so. My mycoplasma numbers are in normal limits, and my sed rate and CRP are low. Does anyone ever try going off it for a while? I’m scared to try that…any thoughts?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Sissy,

Have you had your thyroid tested recently? Aside from possible fibro, can you share what rheumatic disease you are treating with AP and any other meds and supps you might be taking? Do you have any other health issues? E.g. Diabetes?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

How much doxycycline are you taking? Are you taking any supplements?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Spiffy

Check your b6 level please. Look up symptoms of toxicity. You mention many of them.

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

quilter
    Participant

Hi Sissy,
    I have the scalp pain too. I’ve not heard of others who have it. I’m taking minocycline, I was thinking of switching to doxycycline with the hopes that the scalp pain would go away. I have pondered over whether the pain is a side effect of the medicine or could it be a herx? The scalp pain could be pseudotumor cerebri which is a buildup of fluid within the skull. I’m of the opinion that this is a side effect that could occur with all antibiotics in the tetracycline family. I seem to be in almost total remission from MCTD although I think my Raynauds is acting up. I would like to follow you, to see how you are doing. – Carol

Dancing feet are Happy feet!
    Nov 2007 Raynauds, Jan 2008 Carpal tunnel, Aug 2008 Rotator cuff, May 2008 MCTD, July 2013 H.Pylori, Aug 2015 Vaginal Atrophy
    Medications: Minocycline 100 mg MWF, Low Dose Naltrexone 4.5mg, Acidophilus 1-3 a day, Estradiol patch
    Vitamins etc.: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D-3 1000 IU a day, Aspirin 325 mg, Magnesium, B6, B12, Beta-carotene, Cranberry, Garlic, Multi Vitamin, and Glucosamine & Chondroitin with Boswellia & Manganese, & MSN, Grape Seed Complex, Meta

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.