Home Forums General Discussion Sick, sick boy!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Roz
    Participant

[user=1552]nspiker[/user] wrote:

Hi Elaine,

That was a smart move to switch to oral clindamycin, since he does so well on the IV's.  I'm assuming he is able to take it orally, with none of the side effects.  Let us know how he's doing today; sounds like it may have made a significant difference if his fever is down, and no night sweats.

I don't know about you, but I wonder why clindamycin is so effective for many of us.   I had posted a few weeks ago about wanting more frequent clindamycin for myself because it makes such a big difference for me, as it does for your son.  I don't understand, if an antibiotic like clindamycin is so effective, and there are no side effects, why doctors are reluctant to prescribe more often then a few days a month.  Parisa's husband has taken it daily for months with great results.  If your son can “stomach” the oral clindy, that is a great option for him. 

Hopefully this new llmd will be able to sift through this and come up with a solution.

xo, nancy

Nancy,

On a serious note, have you done any research on Clindamycin and the BBB?

Elaine mentioned about P/N as well, are you aware that CNS could be involved?

Hugs, Roz

Davit
    Participant

When I took clindamycin I had to have frequent blood tests because it is very hard on the liver and kidneys and even though we tend not to sue are doctors they are still reluctant to prescribe it for more than the drug companies recommendation. I only got it because My liver and kidneys are excellent and I was in the Hospital for Staph and could be monitored. It did work for my Arthritis and the only reason I got it was because I can't have Minocin and Cloxacilin together. It was also IV since I had a pic line in so it bypassed my stomach.

Davit.

Roz
    Participant

[user=1539]Davit[/user] wrote:

When I took clindamycin I had to have frequent blood tests because it is very hard on the liver and kidneys and even though we tend not to sue are doctors they are still reluctant to prescribe it for more than the drug companies recommendation. I only got it because My liver and kidneys are excellent and I was in the Hospital for Staph and could be monitored. It did work for my Arthritis and the only reason I got it was because I can't have Minocin and Cloxacilin together. It was also IV since I had a pic line in so it bypassed my stomach.

Davit.

Dear Davit,

Elaine, has mentioned on her aboved post that her little guy has been on Clindamycin pulsed for 3 years.

She has also mentioned he is having some Cardio problems.

My hope is that they get to the root of his problem. Weather it be bacteria, viral, yeast, parasites etc…

I just want to see him get his life back.

Roz

Parisa
    Participant

My husband was on IV Clindamycin for three months straight without any problems.

Davit
    Participant

Elaine.

Ibuprofen is not the worst anti inflammatory but it is close. feldane is the worst so I would advise staying away from both of them. If it is because of stomach upset you can ask the Doc about Cytotec to go with your anti inflammatory or you can ask about Arthrotech which is Diclophenac and Cytoteck together. Diclophenac is an older drug and was for many years considered the best. I have used it and found it Ok. It is an anti inflammatory and if it doesn't work right away it probably won't. There are lots of them and some where on the net I came across a list showing best to worst in a list.

Davit.

Roz
    Participant

[user=379]Elaine son w/MCTD[/user] wrote:

Nancy,

When I took my son to see Dr F in Riverside last April he told my son to take clindy everyday. We never got to that point but he did prescribe it.

Roz,

Lots of good advice. Wish you were going with me:) Tues to see cardiologist. I will keep you and your ideas with me. I do have his echo reports but will ask for more. How can they test for infection? Do they have to take a sample from his pericardium?

Elaine

P.S. Still no fever or sweats after switching to clindy. But now he is having other pain besides his chest, his lower back and abdomen and right foot. I upped his tumeric and will drop one of his 800 ibuprofen also upped his milk thistle. Need to find a safer anti-inflamatory. Any ideas?

Hi Elaine,

Yes, a biospy of the heart is what I was told, I did not go for it. But I have had extensive blood work, spit tests, urine and bowel testing.

Has your son had all these tests to hep get to the root of the problem?

Hugs, Roz

Davit
    Participant

Elaine.

I am so happy for you. Good luck with the AP. Slow but steady.

Davit.

Kim
    Participant

Thanks for the follow-up, Elaine.  You know what mother hens we are around here. ;).  Let's hope that's the last blip for a while.

Take care…..kim

nspiker
    Participant

Great News, Great News, Great News…..what a relief!

He deserves an easier time of it. 

nancy

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Elaine;
         I had almost totally forgotten about this.Could it be the Vagus nerve acting up???? I ended up in the ER so often before I knew I had SD.I thought I was having a heart attack.My veins would itch on the outside,then It felt like a freight train was careening full tilt down them,then I got the shakes and my heart would go beserk. I don't know how many tests I went through only to have everything normal.Dr. gave me a prescription for Ativan and whenever one of these episodes would come on that amazing little blue pill would stop it in it's tracks
       My sister who has MCTD/Lupus had the same problem.She sees Dr. B in Vancouver and he knew right away that it was that nerve acting up.Seems it is quite common and no reason to panick once you know what it is.

Parisa
    Participant

Elaine,

Glad to hear the appointment with the cardiologist went well and that  he is even open to learning.  Now you've got a cardiologist on your team!

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=379]Elaine son w/MCTD[/user] wrote:

Good news!:D Echocardiogram showed no pericardial or pleural effusion. In other words no abnormal amount of fluid around his heart. It is such a relief to know that although he has pain that his heart is not showing any signs of compression or excess fluid.

Elaine,

Hugs and what a great a relief!!! I was thinking perhaps he is having a mega herxing. After he is out of this, pray he will be on his way to a full recovery!!! Young people can get out of this quikly. Thank God for such a wonderful mother like you.

Thanks for keeping us posted!!!

JB

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘ Sick, sick boy!’ is closed to new replies.