Home Forums General Discussion Should I take Plaquenil before AP treatment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mickie p
    Participant

Hello!
    Just recently diagnosed RA.   Found this ROAD BACK website and am convinced that AP is the way to go!!!  hoorah!  
    I've been taking 400mg of Plaquenil for a total of 7 days.  It will be 2 months before I can begin AP treatment.  (Iowa is a long way from Alaska)
    My question is,,, is there any reason for me to keep taking the Plaquenil?
    My daily dose of 10mg Prednisone keeps me functioning just fine so wonder if I should just dump the Plaquenil NOW, rather than later?
    Thank God for this site and all it's members!!!
    mickie

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Are you planning a trip to Iowa to see Dr. S?  If so, I suggest you ask him if he thinks you should continue on the Plaq.  From what I understand, Plaq takes at least two months to work, so there doesn't seem to be much immediate benefit. 

Good luck!

Cheryl

BJK7493@aol.com
    Participant

I know when I went to see Dr. S he told me to stop taking the Plaquenal. It takes so long to be effective. Plus it can damage your eye sight.

zakdog
    Participant

There are quite a few people here that take plaquenil with their antibiotics and it is a medication they use with Lymes so it may not be a bad thing, unless you have yucky side effects.  It is one med I am considering adding to the mix if the combo I am on does not keep me off prednisone.   It does seem to take awhile to work but my minocycline took like 3-4 months before I could start feeling any relief too.

mickie p
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.  I got instant relief with my daily dose of 10mg prednisone.  Now I need to get off that.   Not 100% relief but, maybe 80%.
    Four months for your mino to kick in?  That is good to know.   I will be starting AP soon.
    I notice you take fish oil and Primrose.  How does that work for you?  How much do you take?
    mickie p

zakdog
    Participant

I have always taken primrose oil as it is good for female health and full of benefits so that was not new, I like it. I started fish oil with my AP and it too has a world of benefits and is supposed to be good for your joints. I take two of each a day, just one of those things that is really beneficial with not down side, as far as I can see. I started plaquenil yesterday and am scared of the possible eye issues but feel it may be a good addition to the minocycline. I have improved 80% with the minocycline but feel I need a bit more, I am also taking azithromycin a few times a week but have not noticed any benefit to that as of yet and it has been a few weeks. I highly highly considered starting methotrexate cause my hands and wrists have been so bad lately but it is so against everything else I am doing that I did not. I see an AP doc and also a traditional Rheumatologist so that I can keep both sides of the equation open and compare knowledge of the two. They know this and neither one is bothered by it. I have a very open minded Rheumatologist that does not push anything, in fact I have to ask for meds if I want them he does not offer them at all unless you ask, feels it is not his place to make decisions and wants his patients to be their own advocate. Good luck, and do not beat yourself up over staying on the prednisone for awhile as it is a long hard road and you will need it until you start to improve. One thing I found is that rather than taking a higher dose I divided my dose and could get by on much less and feel better. For instance I had better control on 5mg than 7 cause I would split the tabs in half and take 2.5 in the morning and 2.5 in evening then I never had that point where it wore off. Just a suggestion. Good luck to you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.