Home Forums General Discussion Shooting pains, typical of RA or Lyme?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    NancyB
    Participant

I’m wondering what people’s experiences are like in regard to pain. I have inflammation in my feet and hands primarily–with some joint swelling in my hands and feeling like I’m walking on rocks in my feet. I’m not able to walk for exercise like I used to and have to limit activities where I use my hands a lot. I do yoga every week but can no longer do the poses that put a lot of pressure on my feet.

My question is, when at rest (like in bed or sleeping) does RA usually cause shooting or throbbing pains in the affected joints? or is that more Lyme related? I know it’s difficult to separate the two, especially if the RA is Lyme induced (although it’s hard to impossible to rule out mycoplasma as well). I’m familiar with the range of Lyme symptoms but am still understanding what usually happens with RA…if there is a usual with these illnesses!

Nancy

Maz
    Keymaster

@NancyB wrote:

I’m wondering what people’s experiences are like in regard to pain. I have inflammation in my feet and hands primarily–with some joint swelling in my hands and feeling like I’m walking on rocks in my feet. I’m not able to walk for exercise like I used to and have to limit activities where I use my hands a lot. I do yoga every week but can no longer do the poses that put a lot of pressure on my feet.

My question is, when at rest (like in bed or sleeping) does RA usually cause shooting or throbbing pains in the affected joints? or is that more Lyme related? I know it’s difficult to separate the two, especially if the RA is Lyme induced (although it’s hard to impossible to rule out mycoplasma as well). I’m familiar with the range of Lyme symptoms but am still understanding what usually happens with RA…if there is a usual with these illnesses!

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

In the beginning, I had monstrous deep bone pain that shot down my lower legs and shooting pains in feet (well, everywhere!). It felt like someone had stuck a knife into the bone marrow and was twisting it deeper and deeper. After the first year, this pretty much disappeared, but occasionally I still got phantom-like pains that just reminded me of what it was like and they’d come and go briefly. I can’t tell you if it was due to Lyme or RA, because I was just massively inflamed everywhere that first year and, as I was on heavy doses/combos of abx for Lyme, much of the shooting pains were related to the herxing. I remember reading that deep bone pain, particularly in the lower legs and feet are due to bartonella. Sometimes, too, feeling like you’re stepping on marbles can be due to Morton’s Neuromas, which are little collagenous cysts (like nodules) that develop along the tendons in the ball of the foot, below some toes.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mortons-neuroma/DS00468

I had one of these between my third and fourth toes on my left foot that hung around for about a year and then spontaneously disappeared. I thought I’d have to have surgery as every time I stepped on my foot, it felt like stepping on a pebble or small marble and would actually separate my toes. The usual txs for these involve steroid injections or surgical removal. I guess I was pretty lucky mine disappeared on its own, as I was in no fit shape for surgery at the time and steroid shots were out due to the Lyme.

It’s worth mentioning this symptom to your doc, as he may be able to suggest something to help (change of protocol, detox, etc) or may even feel it’s worth getting an x-ray or MRI just to see whether you have Morton’s Neuroma. Podiatrists can usually do this, though if it does turn out that these are neuromas would strongly suggest keeping away from any anti-collagen shots that might be suggested.

This may be no help at all, but empathize greatly. Hope you can find your answers, Nancy.

Marybeth
    Participant

Hi Nancy,
    When I first started having symptoms of RA, it all began with shooting pains through my arms to my hands. It would occur at night while I was sleeping. I don’t have this anymore. The balls of my feet are tender when I first get out of bed or have been sitting for a while. Once I get up and start walking it goes away. After walking 4 hours on the golf course my feet are quite fatigued though. I also had/have muscle soreness in my upper arms. It comes and goes.

Oh ache and pains, ugh!

Marybeth

kater
    Participant

When I saw my LLND a couple of weeks ago he specifically mentioned the feeling of walking on sharp stones as a major symptom of Bartonella. I don’t have this feeling specifically but since he put my antibiotics way up my feet are burning and very stiff and sore. He thinks I have Bartonella as he also found nodules over the muscles in my thighs–I will get the test back on Monday and let you know. I don’t know if you have been tested for Bartonella but if you have Lyme perhaps something to look into. So many tests, so little time (and $)
    all the best to you
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

NancyB
    Participant

Maz, Mary Beth and Kate,

Thanks for your responses–it helps just to hear what others experience. Ironically, since I posted I’ve had three days of less pain in my feet! Glad about that! Kate, I had wondered about Bartonella, too, but have been tested many times–I’ve had some pain in one of my shins and always heard that Bart could cause that. I’ll mention it again to the doc.

In the past few days, I’m feeling like I am improving a bit on this protocol. Will talk to my LLMD again on Thursday. I’m able to tolerate the Clindamycin much better than previously. Still need a rest time each day and if I don’t get it,I feel it. Yesterday did too much and was on my feet all day and I felt it last night.

Mary Beth and Maz, I had more dramatic traveling pains in the beginning, too– in the Achilles and a tendon in my foot and my neck was very stiff, but now those symptoms are gone. I didn’t know about Morton’s neuroma and will check it out–appreciate the info. I’m hoping that by getting diagnosed early and having all the excellent feedback from RBF I can get things under control.

Nancy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.