Home Forums General Discussion Severe Dry Eyes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    EJ Kirksey
    Participant

For months now on and off, I’m having a very bad case of dry eyes. I’ve tried everything. Don’t know whether to go to my eye doctor, a RA Dr. or email Dr. K in Lufkin. It was happening even when I was on Minocycline which I’ve took for over 2/12 years. I’ve been on Doxycycline for a few weeks now. I’m also a diabetic 2 and Dr. K is helping me to reverse the diabetes. Not taken Metformin for about 2 weeks now and my blood sugar is doing well along with my diet. From what I’ve read, these two antibiotics can cause dry eyes. Can it over a period of a few years? Just about to pull my head off from wanting some relief. Thanks for any replies.

Polymyositis: Doxycycline 100 mg 2X Daily
    Flagyl 1X Daily
    B-12
    Niacin 1,000 2X Daily
    Fish Oil 1,000 4X Daily
    D-3, KA 20,000 Daily till 9/8
    Taurine 1,000 1X Daily
    Probiotics

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi EJ sorry to hear about this. There has been alot of past discussion on this topic and if you type ‘dry eyes’ into the search box on the front page, you’ll be able to look through posts about it and maybe get some ideas. One very interesting thread you may like to look at I’m pasting a link to below. Hope you find some relief soon.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6491&p=56818&hilit=dry+eyes#p56818

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

BG
    Participant

The first thought I had while reading your post is that your tear ducts may have become blocked due to cellular debris. I would have that checked out first by your eye doctor before doing anything else.

Barb

cavalier
    Participant

My thought 2nds Barb see a eye doc 1st.
    Many things can contribute to this – I happen to have Sjogrens in addition to my primary Rheum disease it is 2ndary & it can wax & wane as often things with the eye can do.

A good over the counter eye drops for moisture is Refresh – my eye doc started me on that 1st.
    It is lubricating.

My eyes continue to abate & get flared currently they are in a flare but my SD is flared up as well so it sort of goes hand in hand at times.

Most eye docs are good & if they feel there is something going on will tell you what they suspect & to see a doc – working hand in hand it has been helpful to my docs & to the eye doc in addressing the eyes. But dont put off seeing a eye doc the eyes are so important. In sjogrens the lubrication to the eyes they get dry.
    Be sure to give your eye doc a list of all med’s you are on.
    Best – Jill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.