Home Forums General Discussion Scleroderma w/ new diagnosis of Osteoporosis via bone density testing…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Wendy
    Participant

Hi all ,
    This diagnosis of osteoporosis was received 2 days ago. My Primary care doctor asked if I would consider an IV infusion of Reclast. While I Do not know the details of the diagnosis and my body is still adjusting to now entering 5th month of 50 mg 7 days a week ( just this week) on Minocycline, my sense tells me do not introduce anything new with my extremely high sensitivity to drugs. Certainly have not done any research as yet. Have any of you with Systemic Scleroderma had experience or knowledge to pass on?
    Thank you so.

Systemic Scleroderma, Raynauds, Shingles 3x in right eye
    Diagnosed June 2011 on cellcept Nov. 2011 to 1st remission July 2013, relapse March 2015..cellcept to December 2015... 2nd relapse April 2016...due to possible rare side effect of cellcept..a rare corneal ulcer developed in R eye thus began minocycline May 1, 2016. Mino doseage 100mg PM, 50mg.AM daily, Levoxothyroxine 100mcg 1x a day,Tumeric capsule 450+mg 1x daily, Valium 2 1/2 mg.1x PM, magnesium 200mg 1x daily, Valtrex 500 mg.1x a day,probiotic,

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Wendy;
    I think your spidy senses are right.My doctor told me that if we have ever used much in the way of acid blockers for gerd that we would have osteo to some degree.The trouble with bone density meds is that they cause even more bone problems in the end.Bones do become nice and hard but if we were to fall the wrong way they shatter and that is worse than a clean break.She also mentioned that they can cause necrosis of the face and sometimes the shoulder.
    This was info from a few years ago so maybe there are some new meds that don’t do that.Do some serious research.Doc.told me the best thing is a good diet and exercise

richie
    Participant

Hi There is a definite relationship between reclast and “immune system disorder” –you sure dont need that —I have allergies that act up this time of year –my allergist is only giving me minor meds cause she told me she doesnt want to give me anything that can affect immune system —-incidentally -think about adding 50 mg of minocycline one day in the week –Go real slow and if tolerated gradually add an additional day with the goal of increasing dose long term –I am sure not a doctor but know that 350 mg a week of minocycline is a very low dose for scleroderma .

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Wendy;
    I agree with Richie,350mg will not get you very far.Mino and Zith work in several ways which I will not explain here as I don’t have time to write a book.The one thing you need to know is that these 2 meds inhibit Interlukin 6 and Transfer Growth Factor 1B which cause the fibrosis.I think IL10 is Lupus,IL4 is RA or maybe vice versa.Anyway low dose mino may work for a bacterial infection but not the other way around.Clindamycin is great if fighting a bacterium

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.