Home Forums General Discussion Sacroiliitis and Me

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mino_minion
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am new here and just wanted to share my story. ( I am female and 35, just FYI 😀 ) For several years now, I have had some bouts of symptoms that I called “the immune thingy.” At the time, I really was not knowledgeable about autoimmune diseases and would have these time when my lymph nodes would swell in my neck, I’d feel like I was coming down with a bug and then bam…it would disappear. I went through a back bout of cervical neck pain for a couple of years after whiplash induced from an auto accident and then it gradually resolved. I struggled for years with asthma problems and they have resolved mostly because I eliminated gluten from my diet :mrgreen:

Last fall in October of 2013, I started to develop lumbar pain that radiated into my hip. I attributed it to an injury from overuse. A physical therapist diagnosed sacroiliiac joint dysfunction and another doctor confirmed it. I started doing some reading on causes of sacroiliitis and discovered that autoimmune disease often presents as such. I have a normal sed rate and ANA which makes me suspect it is a form of seronegative arthritis of sorts. I have times when both my left ankle and left hand experience joint swelling that increase then subsides. I also noticed that the sacroiliitis came on with a vengeance around the same time that I had a coexisting UTI infection that I took a course of Macrobid for. About six weeks ago, I had an onset of GI issues manifesting as IBS and acid reflux which is why I now take the Prilosec.

I really have not received good answers from doctors, but was able to get an Rx for minocycline as I get acne and have problems with recurring boils. So my doctor prescribed 100 mg/day initially and went down to 50 mg due to GI upset. I am doing 50 mg MWF and am lying low because of my stomach issues and sensitivity to drugs overall.

The amazing thing is that my SI joint pain reduced by 80% or more with just two doses of the minocycline!?! 😮

I am wondering if anyone else here has experienced SI joint problems and/or rapid relief with the AP protocol and what their diagnosed condition is. I am trying to get a referral to a rheumatologist, and suspect a seronegative arthritis such as Ankylosing Spondylitis, Pseudogout, Reactive Arthritis, etc. I do not suspect Lupus as my sed rates are normal, no malar rash, etc. although symptoms can vary. At this point I am treating myself for the boils (and undiagnosed infectious something or another). I am kind of frustrated and at a crossroads. I am glad I found this website!

This post has been moved from Personal History and Progress section – which is for people to journal their progress on AP and where others cannot respond to posts – to General Discussion where others can reply to questions. RBFV

Woods1977
    Participant

Hello mino_minion,

The onset of my Rheumatoid Arthritis began when I was 34 years old. About a year following the initial onset, I began AP therapy (50 mg M-W-F) and within three weeks I had AMAZING results- I literally woke up one morning PAIN FREE! However I

mino_minion
    Participant

Thanks for your reply! I am glad that you found relief using the AP. I found that at 100mg, even after a few days, my symptoms got worse initially and also my stomach was in knots. Do you have any advice on how to take the minocycline to minimize GI upset? I do always take it with a full glass of water. I requested a lower dose because I recall years back that my stomach issues were not as serious on the lower dosage.

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hello, mino_minion:

I really believe that You have Ankylosing Spondylitis. Have You been tested for the HLA B27 antigen? AS attendant inflammation is usually centered around SIJs and lumbago is common and as it progresses, IBS, costochondritis (ribcage pain), tendonitis also can happen anywhere and hip and shoulder bursitis, neck pain and swelling there is very common. I have some diagnostic tips in my dropbox active signature. Minocycline was not the best drug for me; my AP for AS is also included. Most important is diet.

HEALTH,
    John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.