Home Forums General Discussion Rifampin (antibiotic) turning urine red

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Maz.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JulieKatie
    Participant

Weird question….my daughter’s been on rifampin for almost 2 weeks. Her urine and BMs do not show red at all now. Is anyone out there on Rifampin with a similar situation? I want to be sure my daughter is getting her medication effecitively, so this concerned me, Could you let me know if your Red/orange pills stained for a while and abruptly stopped? If any of you have had this happen, could you drop me a line. Thanks! Julie Allen

Katie; Lyme disease,

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Julie,

Just a thought, but do you watch your daughter closely when she takes her medications? The reason I ask is because, while I was sitting here pondering your question, the thought popped into my head that this might be a case of patient noncompliance.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

JulieKatie
    Participant

Phil,

Yes I do actually watch her take them…I guess not everyone has the red tinted urine issue. I talked with my pharmacist, and found that out…makes me less concerned now. Thanks for your ideas, though, as I can see that could happen easily. 🙂
    Julie

Daughter
    Pos. Western Blot, Lyme, asthma, allergies, Rifampin bid, Omnacef, zithromax, lots of vitamins, supplements, and meds for other conditions.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Julie,

I’m guessing you got a satisfactory answer from your pharmacist, which is good. 🙂 These guys should know their drugs.

When I took Rifampin, I never got the red discoloration, just the tangerine-orange-colored urine and bowel movements. It stayed the same for the duration I was on Rifampin…several months. Some folk herx dramatically on this abx, but I didn’t really notice much difference, I have to admit, hence why my LLMD at the time switched it up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.