Home Forums General Discussion Ridgeing of Nails a sign of RA also a sign of Lyme Disease

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joanne60
    Participant

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/488308_345207918895810_886938002_n.jpg
    Ridging of nails is a sign of RA it is also found in patients with Lyme Disease – something I had when my hands were really bad but all gone now since long term antibiotics. At my worst I could hardly use my hands and couldn’t lift my upper arms due to weakness. I’ve just come indoors after an hour pruning a fig tree, most of the time with my hands above my head – only treatment was long term antibiotics. Borrelia/ Lyme Disease is not the only infection that causes RA symptoms even with RA positive tests.

Trudi
    Participant

Thanks for the link. Only my thumb has the ridging like #13–but very, very slight.
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Krys
    Participant

Very interesting! Thank you.
    All my fingernails have ridges, some very severe. I noticed them for the first time when I was 8 years old, when other kids were interpreting the meaning of various marks, white spots, thinness, etc. on the nails. Nobody ever commented on the meaning of ridges, but I have been paying attention to nails ever since. I had 2 bullseyes as a kid, so that would explain. Present onset of Lyme has manifested with deep ridges all over the nails as compared to just some ridges earlier. What keeps surprising me is that they are not improving but seem to be getting worse! That does not make much sense as my microbial load has greatly diminished.

I checked on google, and ridges, if vertical, seem to be considered normal part of the “mature” nails. Though who knows for sure, really?
    All about nails: http://www.normanallan.com/Med/askdr/finger.html
    I don’t completely agree with one more interpretation:
    I have longitudinal dark lines and they are not melanoma: they do diminish after detox, some disappear, some are still very slightly present. They always get worse when P450 cytochrome shuts off too much (as when I take 2 abx that independently shut it off by using different pathways.).
    I suffered from heart attack in the past and soon afterwards my toe nails turned completely black /gray and after recent circulation problems they are again gray with blackish streaks. So discoloration may be due to circulation problem.
    But on the whole, I really like this nail – health connection and I think patients would greatly benefit if more doctors checked the whole body: skin, hair, nails, tongue + all the symptoms and maybe did a comprehensive interview with the patient. At least the forms we fill out could be more comprehensive!
    Thanks a lot!
    Warm wishes, Krys

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.