Home Forums General Discussion Richie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SS
    Participant

Hi Richie:
    I was getting Minocin from Walmart all these years but now they say the company (dermatologics) does not manufacture them.
    Please let me know where do you get from.
    What are other company available?
    Thank you
    Regards
    SS

richie
    Participant

Hi UIf its minocin brand -tell them Valeant is the manufacturer –richie

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi SS,

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/15/valeant-strikes-distribution-deal-with-walgreens.html

Richie had a good tip recently to find a local pharmacist and ask them to be your sole supplier of brand Minocin. Small pharmacists compete against the larger chain pharmacies and so may be more open to special ordering.

SS
    Participant

Thank you Richie and Maz.
    I am sorry what is Ulf I did not understand.

Thanks
    Regards
    SS

richie
    Participant

Hi Ulf is a typo -sorry about that -meant if

CMS12
    Participant

Hi SS – I have been unable to get Minocin from Walmart, Walgreens, or Riteaid. I did find it available at Express Scripts mail order but that is my prescription plan under Medicare. It isn’t that it’s no longer being manufactured. It is that the pharmacies are no longer carrying it. Richie is correct that Onset Dermatologics no longer manufactures. It is Valeant. I confirmed with Valeant that they still manufacture by calling them. I’m thinking it’s the hefty price increase that is making it unavailable at pharmacies. 180 Minocin capsules cost about $7,000 now. I have been reviewing the drug formularies for 2017 for many of the health insurers trying to find a plan that will cover it and none do so far. So I may not be able to get it in 2017. I did get one bottle of Torrent Minocycline and that does seem to have a similar effectiveness to Minocin.

Hope this helps. Cindy.

richie
    Participant

Hi No pharmacy will stock it but any pharmacy can order it from their distributor, if they so wish –AWhile back I explained the economics of this and why a small local pharmacist that one does regular business with -is the best hope for obtaining minocin

richie
    Participant

Hi Again –shopping formularies is not productive –no insurer will carry that in their formulary —and they certainly not approve a new insuree for it —I have the same RX insurer for over twenty years -my appeal written by a Harvard doctor is still in their records -I have had one review about 2-3 years ago -I used a convincing argument and still get approved for the brand –For how long –who knows ???? I have my back up plan -if needed .–The message I have tried to mention over and over here is loyalty is a two way street –If I am loyal to businesses normally that loyalty is repaid –this extends to all my dealings –cable co.-same company since their inception –same credit card 45 years –same bank 45 years and on and on -and the same local pharmacy since they opened about 10 years ago —he special orders the minocin for me even though it really is a losing proposition-for him BUT he gets ALL my business and he knows it —you would be very surprised the perks one gets —

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.