Home Forums General Discussion Red, hot palms and fingers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    penn1023
    Participant

Does anyone ever get red, hot hands? Not the outside but the palms and fingers. Ever since May 1 when I started this “flare” I’ve had this problem. I also have a hot nose and cheeks but they are not red. Temp is below normal or normal. I have a positive RA RF (low),a low lupus marker, Fibromyalgia and pos. mycoplasma. In July, Dr F just upped my minocin to MWF twice a day. Any ideas what causes this and why ? I also have Raynauds but this is not like Raynauds in that the whole hand is red/pink, not any other color.

KathyF
    Participant

Do is feel like your finger tips are burning? Or does it feel like your fingers are being pricked by thousands of needles? I know my fingers can get sore and a little painful but they’ve never felt like they are on fire.

Parisa
    Participant

Your symptoms make me think of Fifth disease (Parvovirus) which is a viral infection. Parvo can cause problems in some people beyond the initial infection.

penn1023
    Participant

Just really hot not needles but I just had a negative CRP and normal sed rate so I don’t know if it’s inflammation.

Maz
    Keymaster

@penn1023 wrote:

Does anyone ever get red, hot hands? Not the outside but the palms and fingers. Ever since May 1 when I started this “flare” I’ve had this problem. I also have a hot nose and cheeks but they are not red. Temp is below normal or normal. I have a positive RA RF (low),a low lupus marker, Fibromyalgia and pos. mycoplasma. In July, Dr F just upped my minocin to MWF twice a day. Any ideas what causes this and why ? I also have Raynauds but this is not like Raynauds in that the whole hand is red/pink, not any other color.

Hi Penn,

Apparently, with lupus, one of the vascular skin manifestations is called, “palmar erythema.” As this latest symptom arose with your latest flare, I wonder if it might be associated with this? Perhaps this is something you could cross-check with Dr. F?

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_learnaffects.aspx?articleid=2324&zoneid=526

According to the following link, 60% of RAers may also experience palmar erythema:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-different-treatments-for-palmar-erythema.htm

If you’ve noticed a worsening of this symptoms since increasing your mino dose, might it be related to herxing? Herxing is described as a worsening of existing (and some new) symptoms. When I first began treatments for Lyme/RA, both my palms and soles were red, burning and dripping with sweat (hyperhydrosis). It was pretty miserable, but probably the least of my worries at the time, as I was in agony with all-over joint and muscle pain. These symptoms faded as I improved and then worsened again when I experienced drug-induced lupus. When I’ve flared, these symptoms have arisen again, but not as badly as in the beginning. The peripheral neuropathy (burning) component was likely related to my Lyme and nerve involvement.

Parisa has a good point….I got Fifth’s disease as an adult when my youngest contracted it from playgroup (a mild disease in children but can be horrible as an adult with rashes, malaise and joint pain/swelling). Weirdly, parvo presents with symptoms very similar to lupus (“slapped cheek” butterfly-like rash on the face and lacy, reticular rash on torso and legs, not unlike livedo reticularis), so I have to wonder if the exacerbations of lupus or RA and compromised immune function might have a role to play in reactivating latent, old viruses (similar to chicken pox and later shingles)?

Just some ideas based on my own experiences, but may not be of any help to you. All I can really say is that as my RA has improved, so have the palmar and plantar symptoms. I have also had strong bartonella symptoms throughout and treatment for this may have helped.

Hope you find your answers, Penn, and maybe Dr. F. will have some insight for you, too.

Rose
    Participant

Hi Penn, Yes I started having those red palms and fingers on the underside just before I was diagnosed with RA. It came mostly in the evenings. But not all the time. My primary care doctor, at the time, said his Father had the same thing with his RA. I also have Raynauds. So wonder if it isn’t all related. Still get it the red palms occasionally. Rose

penn1023
    Participant

Thanks everyone for answering. I feel a lot better now but I will run this down with Dr F and my gastro when I see him next month. I started feeling bad when we were in Australia for one month, where I was bitten by dozens of mosquitos and had a terrible reaction to them. After I came back home I started getting flare symptoms. I saw Dr F in July and told his partner Dr L about the mosquito incident. He told me that those could have dragged down my immune system. BTW these mosquitos were different than ours here. I couldn’t see them at all and since I am allergic to them in the US I was hypervigilant after the first couple of bites. Anyhow, by chance today I got a book from the library called Fibromyalgia for Dummies to get an angle on this new (old) thing I have and the book flipped to page 43 ( I swear) where it mentions….”Carla says that a virus may have triggered her fibromyalgia. She was very healthy (I wasn’t) until she came down with a severe mosquito-born virus that she contracted in Australia…”
    I couldn’t believe what I was reading and showed my husband. He had told me Australia doesn’t have any strange bugs. LOL

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I couldn’t believe what I was reading and showed my husband. He had told me Australia doesn’t have any strange bugs. LOL

If your husband is an aussie, he may have been being ironic 😆 We have some VERY strange (and sometimes quite dangerous) critters here. However, in terms of mosquito borne illnesses, I think the one you read about was an extremely rare case of Murray Vallrey encephalitis, contracted whilst the woman was in the very far tropical north of the continent. We do not have malaria here, there is Ross River Virus (reasonably uncommon but probably the most likely viral infection) and Darkes Forest Virus (very rare) and there have been a couple of instances of Dengue Fever in the very far tropical north. Guess travel and climate change are mixing things up a little. And, of course, there is the view that mosquitoes are vectors of Lyme Disease and co-infections (which you wont hear anything about in official publications because it is still denied as being here at all).
    http://medent.usyd.edu.au/fact/mosquitoes.htm#mosq
    Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

penn1023
    Participant

Ha Ha, he’s no Aussie but he says it’s too “western” to have any dread diseases. LOL
    One branch of my family emigrated there decades ago and I have heaps of cousins in Ryde, Windang, Wollongong, Lake Heights, Port Kembla, etc….

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

One branch of my family emigrated there decades ago and I have heaps of cousins in Ryde, Windang, Wollongong, Lake Heights, Port Kembla, etc….

Not areas known for strange tropical diseases or lethal mosquitoes…too far south! Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.